Rear cassette 11-36, choices for easier climbing

plasma_man
plasma_man Posts: 129
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

I've had my Cube SL 29er four years. This year I'm on it a lot more, back into serious training over spring for summer XC events. Recently completed a 50 mile Iron Bike with 4'500ft of climbing. On this event, there many climbs, especially near the end, where I couldn't get the power out my legs to get up some steep gradients on rough terrain. Looking at people cycling next to me, they were spinning much easier where I was having to grind the pedals.

Not knowing much about cassettes and their ratios, I have had a good google about to learn what is available and what my options are, but I would like some advice.

Current setup is 3x10 , 42x32x24T, 11-36T. So I am really looking for a 10 speed 11-38 or 40, but I see this doesn't exist (or not cheap anyway)

So what are my options? Change to an 11 speed and replace the right shifter with something similar to what I have like Shimano SLX. Is my 3 ring crank compatible with an 11 speed cassette?

I would also be happy to switch to 2x11, that would be perfect for my XC style of biking, as long as the lowest gear was lower than my current setup. Would that be a case of new crankset, new cassette and both shifters....or is there a lot more to it? 2x11, 34x24T 11-42T. This would be ideal! I forgot to ask about the rear derailleur, I guess that is only 10 speed, so would need an 11 speed version, and obviously a new front deraileur. Maybe I should get my LBS to do this :?

Edit, looking around 1x11 may be the way to go, any keeps it simple, as long as I can climb, I don't mind running out of gears on the fast descents too much.

PS, previous thread on changing my old BB to a new BB93, worked a treat once I remembered the spacers!!
- 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.

Comments

• plasma_man
    Guys

I googled 10 speed extended range and see options like this.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sun ... -40-539712

Plug and play it seems according to one of the reviews, If so, this would be perfect.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That'll do it.
    You may need to fit a longer b-screw to the rear mech though to prevent fouling the largest sprockets and add a few links to your chain.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't climb on a 22/36?

To be honest that gear is so slow you struggle to balance already, were you actually using that gear?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plasma_man
    Thanks for the replies.

24-36, climbing is no problem, vast majority of climbs I never need the granny ring never mind that ratio, but after 4 hrs in the saddle then some really steep climbs, it's nearly impossible, and many were cycling next to me had an easier job due to the lower gear.

I'm going to order the Sunrace cassette, not sure if I should go for 40 or 42, probably 40. I will put a nice new shiny chain on anyway, was always planning that.

Thanks for the tip on the B-screw, I will be prepared for that.

I guess there is no easy way to do this without the correct tools, will order a whip and the nut thingymabobbery.