Cannondale Synapse

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for advice or links on a Cannondale Synapse.

Can you get a full Ultegra Non disc version?

Thanks
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Not sure on your spec question, however have a Sora version from last year and it's an amazing bike. It just feels great and you can really much the miles.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    I hired a non disc ultegra synapse a few weeks ago, lovely bike. Doesn't look like it is available on this year's list though.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got one, albeit a 2016 (bought 2015) model which is just brilliant. However, it was not what you could call full Ultegra as it came out of the factory with a FSA SLK-Light crankset (BB30a) which I replaced with an Ultegra 6800 crankset after about 18 months. Sorry but I don't know if the equivalent bike is included in the current range. When I get to my laptop later, I'll post a couple of pictures (I'm on an iPad at the moment and it's a bit awkward!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I have got a Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra and it is a fantastic bike.
    As stated above the crankset is Cannondale Si, BB30a, with FSA rings, the rear cassette Shimano 105 5800 11sp 11-32, with Ultegra 6800 derailleurs. As mine is a disc it has Shimano R685 shifters/brakes, but the non-disc had Ultegra 6800 set-up.
    There are some cracking deals at Hargreaves Cycles on shop-soiled Cannondales at present here
  • meursault
    Thanks guys.

It's looking like the short answer is no. It's just I don't feel that bothered about the discs. I wouldn't even mind the alu, but they seem to only make those avalaible with lowest drive train spec.

Tempted by the 105, but seems slightly non value for money or overpriced, maybe just me.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for Hargreaves link have not checked them out yet.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Without knowing exactly what 'shop soiled' is these look a bargain (Hargreaves)

mdb-15659_c17_c13347m_rep.jpg

caad12

as does

mdb-13106_synapse105copy.jpg

Synapse Carbon 105

and7527-30892-main-img_11191-70.jpg

Synapse non disc ultegra (doesn't say exact spec)

I'll send em a mail

Voltaire
  • kingstongraham
    Some of those do look very tempting, and I didn't think I wanted a new bike. And some in size 56.
  • meursault
    Some of those do look very tempting, and I didn't think I wanted a new bike. And some in size 56.

The Ultegra?

Yes, 56 is good for me too. I have mailed to check the spec, but might go for it, unless you get it first :shock: :D

Voltaire
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sorry but I can't include new pictures in my posts at the moment as my Flickr account is playing up but here is an older post which includes a picture of my Synapse:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154&hilit=synapse+carbon+ultegra
    I'm pretty sure that the specs of later models have not changed from my 2015 version in that they are all Ultegra 6800 with the exception of the crankset and cassette which are FSA and 105 5800 respectively. In my case, I changed the crankset to Ultegra 6800 when I needed change the bottom bracket bearings after about 18 months. The changed necessitated a BB30a to Shimano adapter as Shimano don't make a 'native' BB30a crankset. There are a few such adapters on the market and I chose a C Bear from Belgium. I should emphasise that there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the original FSA SLK-Light crankset and, if weight matters to you, it might even have been a little lighter than the unit that I replaced it with (it had carbon arms). It's just that after a little while, my OCD started nagging at me about the fact that it wasn't 'full Ultegra' and I used the need for a BB bearing change as an excuse to sort it out.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • meursault
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Sorry but I can't include new pictures in my posts at the moment as my Flickr account is playing up but here is an older post which includes a picture of my Synapse:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154&hilit=synapse+carbon+ultegra
    I'm pretty sure that the specs of later models have not changed from my 2015 version in that they are all Ultegra 6800 with the exception of the crankset and cassette which are FSA and 105 5800 respectively. In my case, I changed the crankset to Ultegra 6800 when I needed change the bottom bracket bearings after about 18 months. The changed necessitated a BB30a to Shimano adapter as Shimano don't make a 'native' BB30a crankset. There are a few such adapters on the market and I chose a C Bear from Belgium. I should emphasise that there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the original FSA SLK-Light crankset and, if weight matters to you, it might even have been a little lighter than the unit that I replaced it with (it had carbon arms). It's just that after a little while, my OCD started nagging at me about the fact that it wasn't 'full Ultegra' and I used the need for a BB bearing change as an excuse to sort it out.

Thanks for this info. Re:Full Integra, It's not a weight or similar issue to you, just trying to max out VFM. I think the BB or similar you mentioned would be fine. The blue Synapse above looks good. Just waiting to hear back to confirm spec.

P.s. Love the pic of your bike.

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    LOVE my Synapses - I don't like blue, but even I think that one above looks amazing.

Especially if you want a non disk Ultegra variant which they do not make anymore, I would grab it asap if I were you!

Such a comfy bike, and yet, for me, such an entertaining and enjoyable ride.
    Currently running both of mine with a full set of spacers, but as I ride more, and more in the drops, so am getting more flexible, so plenty of scope to drop the bars down as I progress.

One thing I will say, and this may be the fault of the shop, but both of mine were from Evans, and both were meant to come with 350mm carbon seatposts.
    The first one came with a 300mm alloy seatpost, the second one came with a 300mm carbon seatpost - both of which were useless to me, as it would have to have been above the point of minimum insertion - ooh err missus.

Evans allowed me to source them both from elsewhere, and refunded me the two amounts with no quibble, but not sure if that was an Evans fault or Cannondale's fault - just suggesting you check the spec if you go for it as soon as it arrives.
    Additionally, my Adventure model, came with rigid tyres, when they were meant to be folding - I sold them anyway, so did not pursue it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

Yes, 56 is good for me too. I have mailed to check the spec, but might go for it, unless you get it first :shock: :D

The Ultegra Di2 Disc for £2000 looks good value to me, but like I say, I don't want a new bike... do I?
  • daniel_b
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

The Ultegra Di2 Disc for £2000 looks good value to me, but like I say, I don't want a new bike... do I?

That is STUNNING value, this years model is 3.7k, and comes in a dull as ditchwater colour.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:
    LOVE my Synapses - I don't like blue, but even I think that one above looks amazing.

Especially if you want a non disk Ultegra variant which they do not make anymore, I would grab it asap if I were you!

Such a comfy bike, and yet, for me, such an entertaining and enjoyable ride.
    Currently running both of mine with a full set of spacers, but as I ride more, and more in the drops, so am getting more flexible, so plenty of scope to drop the bars down as I progress.

One thing I will say, and this may be the fault of the shop, but both of mine were from Evans, and both were meant to come with 350mm carbon seatposts.
    The first one came with a 300mm alloy seatpost, the second one came with a 300mm carbon seatpost - both of which were useless to me, as it would have to have been above the point of minimum insertion - ooh err missus.

Evans allowed me to source them both from elsewhere, and refunded me the two amounts with no quibble, but not sure if that was an Evans fault or Cannondale's fault - just suggesting you check the spec if you go for it as soon as it arrives.
    Additionally, my Adventure model, came with rigid tyres, when they were meant to be folding - I sold them anyway, so did not pursue it.

Agree, I'm not totally sure about the blue, but beggars and all that. Still waiting to hear full spec, may have to get them on the dog and bone.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

Feck Yeah! I didn't see that one. 300 squidoodles more than the blue Ultegra. Hmmmmm. Cannondale team colours into the bargain, looks so good.

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

Feck Yeah! I didn't see that one. 300 squidoodles more than the blue Ultegra. Hmmmmm. Cannondale team colours into the bargain, looks so good.

It looks even better in the carbon - but it does have discs, which I think you did not want?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

It looks even better in the carbon - but it does have discs, which I think you did not want?

Yes, not bothered about discs, but that was mainly about paying more for them.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

The Ultegra?

Pulled the trigger, I've done you a favour KG and saved you some dosh. I'm living now and paying later. Delivery Tuesday.

mdb-13103_synapseultegradi2copy.jpg

Voltaire
  • kingstongraham
    Enjoy! I can stop thinking about it now.
  • daniel_b
    Fine choice, enjoy Sir!

Nearly as much as a bargain as mine was :-)

Source some nice light wheels, and it becomes one helluva a bike 8)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meursault
    Daniel B wrote:
    Fine choice, enjoy Sir!

Nearly as much as a bargain as mine was :-)

Source some nice light wheels, and it becomes one helluva a bike 8)

Thank you, I'm too slow for fast wheels! :oops:

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Enjoy! I can stop thinking about it now.

Grazie! My Mum says you are not allowed a go :wink:

Voltaire
  • meursault
    i4lbbs.jpg

Here she is in all her beauty!

Went for a quick test ride and very impressed. Noticeably smoother than my existing Boardman Team. Di2 is so sweet. Set the saddle height according to Lemond ratio http://road.cc/content/feature/166709-how-set-your-saddle-height and feels perfect. Saddle already in comfortable position, but obviously too early to see if I am compatible with it, until 100 miles or so. Have man flu today so cannot put in a good distance.

http://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/ Were excellent to deal with. I had a damaged rotor in transit on first delivery but was dealt with quickly and efficiently with superb communication and commitment. Would recommend highly. Second delivery all is perfect. I also had some Fedex issues as documented in another thread.

All I have to do now is get out and ride!
    Thanks for all your help and replies, I am positive I have made the right decision and the right bike.

Voltaire
  • kingstongraham
    Sweet.

I hired a Synapse first time I went to Gran Canaria, and went straight out on a 5 hour plus ride up in the hills and it was immediately comfortable. It's a lovely bike.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    That looks great - get over that manflu and hit the roads in this perfect cycling weather

Such nice bikes. If the frame clearances haven't changed you can go all the way up to 30mm gravel tyres for the day's excursion on the canal path. I absolutely love mine and whilst it was bought as a summer good weather bike I just cannot stop myself riding it most of the time.

If you don't mind building up yourself there are often superb deals on Cannondale frames - I picked up a last season's Hi-Mod frameset for under 850 which was less than half that of the then current frameset.
  • meursault
    Sweet.

I hired a Synapse first time I went to Gran Canaria, and went straight out on a 5 hour plus ride up in the hills and it was immediately comfortable. It's a lovely bike.

Salute!

Voltaire
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    meursault wrote:
    i4lbbs.jpg

Went for a quick test ride and very impressed. Noticeably smoother than my existing Boardman Team. Di2 is so sweet. Set the saddle height according to Lemond ratio http://road.cc/content/feature/166709-how-set-your-saddle-height and feels perfect. Saddle already in comfortable position, but obviously too early to see if I am compatible with it, until 100 miles or so. Have man flu today so cannot put in a good distance.

http://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/ Were excellent to deal with. I had a damaged rotor in transit on first delivery but was dealt with quickly and efficiently with superb communication and commitment. Would recommend highly. Second delivery all is perfect. I also had some Fedex issues as documented in another thread.

Thanks for all your help and replies, I am positive I have made the right decision and the right bike.

Quick question... is this green or yellow and, if green, is it the usual Cannondale Beserker Green?

I only ask because i have bought the same saddle as this in Green and it does not match the cannondale green. This looks like a perfect match.
  • daniel_b
    It's VERY green:

cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-di2-3-disc-2016-road-bike-green-EV239404-6000-1.jpg

The non Di2 version is yellow:
    cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-disc-2016-road-bike-soiled-yellow-EV285094-1000-16.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meursault
    img_87 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    i4lbbs.jpg

Quick question... is this green or yellow and, if green, is it the usual Cannondale Beserker Green?

I only ask because i have bought the same saddle as this in Green and it does not match the cannondale green. This looks like a perfect match.

Cannondale green afaik. Pushing lime but not fluo. The saddle green may be slightly lighter in colour, but not enough to worry me. I also got the Elite green and black bidon cages, again not exact match, cage is slightly darker green, but still looks good imho.

Voltaire
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Sorry to steal the thread but here i think this photo shows the difference in green between my saddle and the cannondale green

34905726935_3b7f3d2e08_b.jpgGOPR2947_1492173418960_high-01 by Ian Gate, on Flickr

Wonder if there is another green available for the saddle highlights.