Upgrading a Budget Hardtail

MTBerSurrey
MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys.

I have a Carrera Fury 2017. I don't have a crazy budget for upgrades so have been doing little bits per time and aesthetic bits.

I wondered what upgrades, tweaks or MTB essential would you go for before others. If you could get say spend £50 per month?What's the best bang for buck.

Things I have done in order:

Maintenance/aesthetics

Removed all reflectors
Got rid of the c clips and used coloured coded zip ties.
Tidied all cables with cable ties

Purchases

Helmet
Hydration pack
Gloves
Tools
Obligatory Enduroguard on the front
Changed grips to Giant lock ons
External routed RSP 125mm dropper

This Month:

Scott Knee Pads
New pedals

Looking at:

Handlebars
Stem
Tyres

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres are normally a decent upgrade, depending on what's on there now, what, where and how you ride.

Anything wrong with the current stem and bars?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    are you tubeless yet? If not decent tyres, a bit if width and tubeless.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Is that dropper the RSP plummet?
    What do you think of it? I'm very tempted by one myself.

As far as the rest goes, it's really your choice. As already said, it depends how and where you ride.
    Tyres will potentially give more grip, but only you'll know if that's a problem at the moment.
    Tubeless will help avoid punctures, so that's generally a good thing.
  • Uber_Pod wrote:
    Is that dropper the RSP plummet?
    What do you think of it? I'm very tempted by one myself.

As far as the rest goes, it's really your choice. As already said, it depends how and where you ride.
    Tyres will potentially give more grip, but only you'll know if that's a problem at the moment.
    Tubeless will help avoid punctures, so that's generally a good thing.

It's working really well. I demo'd a Marin Wolf Ridge 9 at the weekend with a KS lev on at whilst it felt more, solid, I wasn't really noticing the difference when riding. The cable can get in the way a bit but fixable (I think they do a stealth though, but my bike is not stealth ready). Can get for £73 with delivery from Tredz using 10% off code.

Tubeless will have to wait for tyres as I have nicked the side walls a fair bit and worry how they would stand up if converted. Tyres will defo be next month and very likely to go Stans tubeless.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Little things like seat and bar grips can make a massive difference and don't have to be expensive.