Mavic Ksyrium Elite Spoke Rust Rumours

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi all, I have heard a few reports of Mavik Ksyrium Elite wheel spokes developing rust after a only couple of seasons!! Has anyone experienced this?
cheers
Chris
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've had mine on since Feb and haven't seen any issues yet and they've been out in ran several times and washed a lot more.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Had mine for 4 years, out in all weather, with no rust.
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    As above - bought mine on a second hand bike a year ago, been out in wet weather, I'm not a clean freak so it doesn't get washed much - all good.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Mavic Ksyrium spokes are alluminium so will not rust , corrosion is a possibility on exposed areas with no protection though, just touch up any scratches with paint touch up
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    killabeezz wrote:
    Mavic Ksyrium spokes are alluminium so will not rust , corrosion is a possibility on exposed areas with no protection though, just touch up any scratches with paint touch up

I think the Elite are steel, but then again, stainless, so no rust
    left the forum March 2023
  • saladfunky
    saladfunky Posts: 130
    Well I am very glad to hear the "no rust" posts on here!! Thanks for the comments. The reason I asked is because I read a great review in cyclingweekly.com about the Mavics which had a comments section full of complaints about rusting spokes!! See the article for yourself if you like. . . .
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheelset

are they making it up?
    :shock:
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's a shoot review and deserves crap comments. Don't read that junk
    left the forum March 2023
  • No rust on mine (18+ months of Scottish weather) but the stock Yksion tyres were terrifying garbage.
  • Had mine for 2 years and a month, 8 splits in the rear rim by the spoke nipples. Only used in the summer but mavic didn't want to know. Got a pair of ultegra ones now.