Sram Force compatibility with Rival

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Simple question - anyone know if a Force rear derailleur will work with Rival shifters?

Having problems with an old Rival rear mech, so I would quite like to upgrade it to Force22, but looking at the SRAM website it does not mention Rival as compatible (Red is, but not Rival). Has anyone else done this successfully? I can't see why it wouldn't - both are double-tap shifting so I would have thought it could work. Then again I don't want to blow £75 on this if it won't work.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Not done it but the pull is all the same so as long as it's the same number of speeds then there shouldn't be any issue.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Force/Rival/Apex all work together. Probably Red too, but not tried it personally..
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    k-dog wrote:
    Not done it but the pull is all the same so as long as it's the same number of speeds then there shouldn't be any issue.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Thanks for the responses.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I'll soon be mixing red shifters with Force derailleurs, fully expecting them to work well together.
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I ran force mechs with Apex shifters for a while it wont be a problem.

Nice chart they do as well showing what works with what.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... onents.pdf
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The beauty of SRAM is it's all cross compatible and backwards compatible. To convert Rival, Force Red 10 speed to 11 speed all you have to do is change the shifters.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Yes, the pull is the same. I'm running the exact opposite - Rival RD with Force shifters - and no problems at all.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Simple question - anyone know if a Force rear derailleur will work with Rival shifters?

Having problems with an old Rival rear mech, so I would quite like to upgrade it to Force22, but looking at the SRAM website it does not mention Rival as compatible (Red is, but not Rival). Has anyone else done this successfully? I can't see why it wouldn't - both are double-tap shifting so I would have thought it could work. Then again I don't want to blow £75 on this if it won't work.

I actually put Rival 22 shifters on my winter bike to upgrade it to 11 speed with a Force Wifli rear and Yaw front derailleur and it all works perfectly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.