Horrific creaking BB gpx.

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am having an issue with the new eagle x01 chainset. When pushing directly down on the pedals it doesn't creak. If you put a bit of pressure down on the crank pushing into and away from the bike it cracks and creaks pretty badly. I have took all apart regressed, tightened it ect ect. Any other ideas?

The bikes been on about 5 rides and don't remember it doing it when new.

More grease seems to have made it significantly worse.

If you take the non drive side crank arm off you can move the axel up and down by about 1mm which seems odd to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have the correct BB? If a 24mm (Shimano size) is used then that's the exact amount of play you'd get with a 22mm GXP axle through it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon1993
    I would have to check by going to buy a tool tomorrow. Thats a good shout though. It is the bottom bracket and chain set that came with the bike so I'd like to assume they wouldn't get that wrong with a nearly 6k price tag ;(. it's on a Santa Cruz nomads cc. I think santa cruz ship there frames naked to be built by shops so it is possible i guess.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    Just had a look and it seems like the drive side is tight but the non drive side appears to have the play
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • The Rookie
    Which is where the issue would be, if a 24mm BB is used (Shimano or most aftermarket such as Hope etc) you need to use a 1mm thick sleeve adaptor (Hope for example do one to go with their BB) to increase the effective size to 24mm, I use a GXP crankset in Shimano BB with an adaptor on my commuter so am familiar with it.

GXP crank axles are 24mm on the drive side so fit just fine but the 22mm on the NDS.

It's worth checking what the BB spec is for your bike from the manufacturers website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    You'll also get play if the crank bolt isn't fully tight. It needs around 50 Nm, which is a lot for anything on a bike.
  • The Rookie
    You get a lot of creaking, you shouldn't get that much play radially.
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    i got new bike it come with x01 drive train it has sram gpx bottom backet on it. it be creak for some time i removed the crank and water has got in to gpx bottom backet so i put grease on it.so i order a Hope Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP Converter+Hope MTB Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket .the sram gpx are f**king s**t :evil:
  • jon1993
    Thanks for all the help guys!

Just to give you a little update.

Took it to the lbs and they couldnt find the flipping issue either so i asked them to take the bike back to components and rebuild. Whatever they did it seems to have worked but they did say a lot of the components were not to the correct torque spec. So far so good anyway!!!!! Thanks again
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build