Strava question

VitaminC
VitaminC Posts: 12
edited June 2017 in Road general
I'm quite new to Strava

There's someone in my cycling club who I'm faster than especially on climbs. I always overtake them on climbs. My average speed on my Strava rides is a bit higher than theirs. Yet when I click into individual Strava segments they always have a better time than me.

How is that?

When I use Strava I just turn it on and stick my phone in my pocket so I can't see it when I ride. They have their phone mounted on handlebars. Does that mean they can see when they are on a segment and go faster then slow down between segments?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Do they own a car?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You say you pass them on the hills - often the segments often finish before the top?

Some devices do seem to record better times than others. I'd not worry about it. It's only Strava.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Some people attack certain segments. I like to really attack the downhill segments, because I am fat, but vain, and I can normally get quite high up the chart on the downhills.

Your phone can tell you when you are on a segment if you are that way inclined, or you just get to know where your favourites start and end.

You don't say if you are referring to segment times for the same ride, or all time results?
  • VitaminC
    I'm not worried, just wondered why it is :D
  • VitaminC
    I'm referring to all time results
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    So you want to know who is actually the 'better' at cycling ?
    Your only point of reference is Strava?
  • 7 pages
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    7 pages

Unless you count it using the iPhone app, in which case it'll be 9 pages...
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    There is a feature on the paid or premium Strava where you can fav/star a segment and if you have compatible Garmin, it identifies the segment as you approach it, and gives you pace indicator.

If you don't use that, you need to know exactly where segment start and finish is.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    VitaminC wrote:
    How long has he been riding for, has he been riding lots longer? How long ago are all his PBs from - form comes and goes with training, he might have been faster last year or the year before.

If he's slower than you now but all his all time PRs are better than yours either he has been faster before or he happens to have targeted all the segments you happen to have been checking (not necessarily implausible given you're probably more likely to check the more popular segments).
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    VitaminC wrote:
    How long has he been riding for, has he been riding lots longer? How long ago are all his PBs from - form comes and goes with training, he might have been faster last year or the year before.

If he's slower than you now but all his all time PRs are better than yours either he has been faster before or he happens to have targeted all the segments you happen to have been checking (not necessarily implausible given you're probably more likely to check the more popular segments).
    Indeed
    Most of my PBs and the few KOMs i did have are from a couple of years ago , life has times of good and bad.Currently i am having a slow year due to work/ life and and accident that has just left me off the bike for 2 weeks .Mind you nowdays i am more concerened about overall average speed rather than killing a segment and exploding at the top .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Do they like riding when it is very very windy?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    If your that bothered, compare your efforts with his.

Click on the "compare" button and add him...then it will play both your PB's and you can see. Usually it comes down to either you back off before the segment finishes....or GPS inaccuracies.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Strava doping

or these days

Virtual Simulator doping
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    They do it by picking segments and knowing where they start/finish.
    Live segments is brilliant on the Garmin.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    "I am quite new to strava" .... I would guess that he has been on it a while longer ?

you will discover that as time goes by some days you are faster in certain sections than others, for a multitude of reasons, wind, weather, getting a good break on the lights, catching up with someone, trying to distance yourself from some one.

And a lot of the time, you wont even realise it until you get home, upload your ride and see you got a PR on a section of road you wernt even aware your pushing it on
  • Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    I have a related question, and I am not new to Strava.

Went up a climb over the weekend, my previous best was 4:04. I went up with a few others, together. Both of us rode up in 3:50, and on his Strava feed it showed his time and overall best time as 3:50 - plus it gave him a little trophy with a 3 on it for 3rd overall. My time of 3:50 was registered on my ride, but, when I then looked at overall leaderboard, my previous time of 4:04 remained as my best time, despite having ridden it quicker. It still is like that now, so basically, my time has been acknowledged yet ignored by Strava.

How so?
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Dizeee wrote:
    I have a related question, and I am not new to Strava.

Went up a climb over the weekend, my previous best was 4:04. I went up with a few others, together. Both of us rode up in 3:50, and on his Strava feed it showed his time and overall best time as 3:50 - plus it gave him a little trophy with a 3 on it for 3rd overall. My time of 3:50 was registered on my ride, but, when I then looked at overall leaderboard, my previous time of 4:04 remained as my best time, despite having ridden it quicker. It still is like that now, so basically, my time has been acknowledged yet ignored by Strava.

How so?

Click 'Refresh activity achievements' under the spanner icon.
  • Dizeee
    Tried that and no worky. This is a proper Strava blip and it has happened to me before. It begs the question as to how often it is happening and going unnoticed - I only noticed this one as I knew we made an effort up there. i don't normally analyse my segment data that much these days.

Have a look at my screen shot:

2wodfmb.png
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    Are your rides private?

Or, do you have the new feature 'hide from leader-boards' turned on (i.e. ride still shows up in peoples feeds, but can't been seen on leader boards)?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Dizeee wrote:
    Tried that and no worky. This is a proper Strava blip and it has happened to me before. It begs the question as to how often it is happening and going unnoticed - I only noticed this one as I knew we made an effort up there. i don't normally analyse my segment data that much these days.

Have a look at my screen shot:

2wodfmb.png

I've had this in the past, it normally corrects itself a little later on.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    In the segment full leaderboard, "refresh my results" under "actions"?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dizeee
    Nothing marked as private or hidden that I am aware off. Also have refreshed the ride data this morning, nothing has changed. I also got PR's and other trophies in the same ride, so seemingly an inconsistent error...