Glastonbury - whose watching?

Comments

• type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    How has this got to 2 pages and no-one has pointed out that the the thread title is a nonsense?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    type:epyt wrote:
    How has this got to 2 pages and no-one has pointed out that the the thread title is a nonsense?

No-one want to appear to be a grammar nazi
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I watched Radiohead until about 11.15 when general fatigue and the flickering lights had worn me out. Some of their stuff seems to work live better than others. Was quite surprised and pleased to catch 4 songs off OK Computer though. :-)

Quite like Foo Fighters so will watch that tonight.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Mr Goo wrote:

Glastonbury used to be more rock orientated. I can understand having a more popular music guest list as it opens up to a wider audience and gives it's current humungous commercial appeal.
    Reading used to be rock festival too, but that's evolved into popular music festival.
    Oh well there's always Download, Ramblin Man and Steelhouse for us dinosaur rockers.

I remember my elder brother riding his motorbike down to Stonehenge to see Hawkwind - feativals gave certainly changed since those day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Lets be honest Radiohead apart from a couple of songs were a fvck1ng racket. Not what I would want to listen to as a headline act at night. Uplift me for fvck sake.

Looking forward to the Foo Fighters.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    Well Radiohead have been a mixed bag. It's almost like they've moved on over the last 20 years and I still wish it was the 90s.

They can still make me cry though.
    Love it when people post things that can interpreted in polar opposites of the intent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Thought Radiohead were excellent.

But then I prefer everything post OK computer to pre, so.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Wow just terrible performances even from bands i like, modern bands have nothing on the legends like Queen, the Who etc
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    Wow just terrible performances even from bands i like, modern bands have nothing on the legends like Queen, the Who etc

Occasionally a band or artist just nails it, though. I think it was James at T in the Park last year: just caught the vibe perfectly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I like katy perry regardless of the way she spells her name and her music but that outfit is just NO especially when all the dancers on stage with her are fit as a fiddle

Its about the music peeps not the show, music first please show afterwards and only if youre talented, again see Queen

God bless you Freddy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Well Radiohead have been a mixed bag. It's almost like they've moved on over the last 20 years and I still wish it was the 90s.

They can still make me cry though.
    Love it when people post things that can interpreted in polar opposites of the intent.

Even I don't know quite what I meant. Watched all two hours, and enjoyed the set. Strangely didn't think no surprises or creep fitted in at all. Felt like they were playing them just for old times sake. Still, Airbag and Lucky of the old ones were beautiful.

Then enjoyed Katy Perry this evening.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The Foos. Simply f***ing brilliant.
    Should've been the festival closing band. It's downhill all the way on Sunday.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • FocusZing
    Yeah, Excellent, a metropolis of charisma and energy.

I think Ed Sheran will be brilliant. A guy who writes his own music (and other peoples) and can perform them too. He deserves his massive success.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Loved the Foo Fighters, great audience interaction by Dave G; first time I've seen a full set by them, great band.

Now Goo, it's time to set aside your prejudices and enjoy an alternative type of performance by Ed S.
  • mr_goo
    orraloon wrote:
    Loved the Foo Fighters, great audience interaction by Dave G; first time I've seen a full set by them, great band.

Now Goo, it's time to set aside your prejudices and enjoy an alternative type of performance by Ed S.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The only Edward with a guitar worthy of my time is:
    DSC_2041.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1&cc=000000&a=t

And he would never get an invite to Glastonbury.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I've tried stuff out of my usual musical radar this weekend with Lorde and Stormzy and have to say whilst not likely to buy their music afterwards I quite enjoyed both shows. I still draw the line at watching Ed Sheeran however.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Mr Goo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Goo knows what he likes and likes what he knows. Don't pressure him.
    Just saw a bit of Barry Gibb and thought it rather dull, had to laugh at the way the whole place (and he) came to life for Staying Alive. Other than that thought him rather lacklustre and got bored.
  • mr_goo
    Chic & Nile Rodgers were very good. Excellent trip down memory lane and great rapport with the crowd.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Goo knows what he likes and likes what he knows. Don't pressure him.
    Just saw a bit of Barry Gibb and thought it rather dull, had to laugh at the way the whole place (and he) came to life for Staying Alive. Other than that thought him rather lacklustre and got bored.

Quality of music aside, the most interesting thing about Sheeran, if you're into that, is how he does it all with him and a bunch of pedals.

Similar question to Royal Blood, who do well to sound so big with only a drummer and a guitarist/bassist.

Though once you see how they do it, it's all rather simple...

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-band-l ... -full-band
  • FocusZing
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Chic & Nile Rodgers were very good. Excellent trip down memory lane and great rapport with the crowd.
    Yep, when someone can be in the industry almost 50 years and contribute to current world hits (Get Lucky - Daft Punk, Nile rift ) a true talent.

Ed, just him and a guitar. Looking forward to your appreciation later Goo.
  • meanredspider

Quality of music aside, the most interesting thing about Sheeran, if you're into that, is how he does it all with him and a bunch of pedals.

I really like those artists who can build a song up from nothing like the KT Tunstall

https://youtu.be/FGT0A2Hz-uk

Ed Sheeran is inspired by Damien Rice who also does some great one-man-and-his-guitar stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    In fairness, Damien Rice makes Ed Sheeran look like a cynical bastard....*runs off to vomit*.
  • meanredspider
    In fairness, Damien Rice makes Ed Sheeran look like a cynical bastard....*runs off to vomit*.

Have you heard Damien Rice (other than "Cannonball")?
  • mr_goo
    edited June 2017
    Q. How the Feck is Sheerin managing to play a guitar hands free?
    Lip Syncing artists get canned. Yet this guy is headlining Glastonbury.

Sorry all you Ed S fans on the forum. He is clearly a good singer/songwriter but is very one dimensional. I saw a better guitarist/singer busking in Winchester on Thursday lunchtime.

In my opinion a very poor choice to close the festival.
    Chics' performance was far more worthy.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Q. How the Feck is Sheerin managing to play a guitar hands free?
    Lip Syncing artists get canned. Yet this guy is headlining Glastonbury.

Sorry all you Ed S fans on the forum. He is clearly a good singer/songwriter bit is very one dimensional.
    Chics' performance was far more worthy.

Not a fan - he uses looping peddles.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Never mind the pro vs con of Ed S, WTF was that sitting on shoulders in the crowd cutaway just before the end of Galway Girl? My eyes, my eyes...
  • rick_chasey

Have you heard Damien Rice (other than "Cannonball")?

Bits & bobs.
  • meanredspider
    Mr Goo wrote:

As he's probably the most popular artist in the country at the moment and also well-respected live, I guess there will be a lot of people there who would disagree with you.

Music is funny stuff, though.
  • mr_goo

I applaud him for not being a plastic pop star. And fair play to him for learning his trade the right way. Unlike these tw4ts that rock on upto Britain's Got 5h1t Talent.

One thing I will say. At least we've been spared from that Berkshire Hunt Kanye West.

Anyhow. I've retired to the kitchen to snuffle a bag of pork scratchings and quaff em down with a chilled pale ale. All whilst reliving the Foos on iPlayer. Ha.