NEW BIKE:Rear wheel cannot fit into dropout hanger

Seigen
Seigen Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I just recently bought a new bike from JensonUSA website, the Orbea Avant H40. When I recieved it the rear wheel could not slide into the hanger on the casette side. I contacted Jenson and they said the hanger derailleur was bent probably during shipping and will ship me a new one, but that doesnt explain how Im still unable to fit the wheel in when I took off the hanger derailleur. Is the actual dropout hanger bent? Do i need to file it down?
-Link to a google drive folder with Images
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... mFuUEt1blU

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am nervous about clicking an unknown link to some folder/file. Can you upload an image?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It's hard to see in the pictures but if the axle won't fit it must be the dropout that's bent. No cure for that other than a new frame.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Can you fit the end of the wheel axle into the hanger now you've removed it?

You're sure that it's at the drop outs that it is getting stuck, it isn't something silly like the brake calipers getting in the way right?

It looks like perhaps a combination of wheel axles somewhat larger than usual and dropouts slightly narrower than usual. I imagine if you filed the side down a little bit it'd go in alright, taking the pictures at face value, although I could understand why you wouldn't want to do it.

You could try taking it to a local bike shop and asking their advice.

The problem might just be that you have the bike the wrong way up though. Hold the bike the right way up with one hand and guide it onto the wheel as it rests on the floor. With a little force and gravity's help I'm sure it'll go in.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like it's had a heavy smack on the back of the dropout and it's pinched in both the dropout and hanger, new frame needed as well as new hanger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, what he said, farked.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The way it's been pinched I don't think the new hanger will even be able to be fitted as the two bolt holes have been moved closer together.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Seigen
    Seigen Posts: 3
    Unfortunately a new frame is something I cannot do. I plan on filing it down although Im still not sure.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not, it's up to the seller to get the bike to you in usable condition.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I had the same problem with a new Planet X frame. The first thing I did with the frame was try to fit the back wheel to check tyre clearance. The slot in the frame was too small. No sign of damage. Hard to believe but in my opinion the drop out was too small. Perhaps it should have been machined after casting.
    I did not like the matt finish so I was happy to send it back.
    I was an apprentice engineer and spent at least the first month of my working life learning how to use a file . Believe it or not some of my fellow students never really got it right. Good luck with the file. Getting the axle to go in the frame is easy but the wheel alignment needs a bit of thought.