Red bull Million Mile commute

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2018 in Commuting chat
...on Strava - anyone doing it? I saw it pop up and thought "why not?"

Apparently you get some Red Bull goodies, which is ace, 'cos I can't stand the stuff :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    I've joined the group on Strava to see what I get. No idea how they send you the stuff without your postal address?

Clicking the link on their website asks me to allow them to edit my Strava profile - no thanks. I've searched for the group in Strava and joined that way.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I've joined the group on Strava to see what I get. No idea how they send you the stuff without your postal address?

Clicking the link on their website asks me to allow them to edit my Strava profile - no thanks. I've searched for the group in Strava and joined that way.

I don't think it allows them to "edit" your profile, it authorises them to link your data so they can log it. Also when you do that you get a form to fill in so they can send you the "pack"

just joining the club does nothing, your miles don't get logged, you don't get a freebie
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Now, according to the leader boards, last week some people either spent 51 hours commuting (do they just commute without actually working), cycled 1214 km commuting or did a single 43 hour long (but only 43km distance covered) commute....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    elbowloh wrote:
    Now, according to the leader boards, last week some people either spent 51 hours commuting (do they just commute without actually working), cycled 1214 km commuting or did a single 43 hour long (but only 43km distance covered) commute....

the leader boards on the splash page that I just got were fairly reasonable. 1st 220miles 2nd 180miles 3 151miles - as I am at 149miles for the week they sound pretty tame. When work is lighter I do 50 mile round trip so would be up there without trying; pretty sure there are people out there doing 30+ miles each morning and evening
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I think I'm in but it does seem like the whole thing is riddled with issues.

I've linked and filled in the form and tagged my rides as commutes. I can't see them showing however.
    Was looking forward to the freebies too :(
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Phil485 wrote:
    I think I'm in but it does seem like the whole thing is riddled with issues.

I've linked and filled in the form and tagged my rides as commutes. I can't see them showing however.
    Was looking forward to the freebies too :(

Yeah, I signed up, but I have no idea where it's tracking my miles, or how I can see them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    We like Red Bull

Ricciardo.JPG
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thistle_
    2 cans of Red Bull in a nice presentation box arrived today. Was a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting anything.

There was an additional registration form you had to fill in on their website, and I think it matched the email address you gave with your email address on Strava to check you had logged some miles.

I don't like Red Bull so I've palmed the drinks off on others in the office. One guy turned it down on account of it not coming with any Jägermeister.
  • elbowloh
    2 cans of Red Bull in a nice presentation box arrived today. Was a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting anything.

There was an additional registration form you had to fill in on their website, and I think it matched the email address you gave with your email address on Strava to check you had logged some miles.

I don't like Red Bull so I've palmed the drinks off on others in the office. One guy turned it down on account of it not coming with any Jägermeister.
    My cans of Red Bull arrived this morning also, although I don't think they're counting my miles!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Oh Maybe I will still get some - had given up on it
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I also got mine today. I was very confused when it appeared, because I'd forgotten all about it!
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    mine popped through the door today too.
    free stuff I suppose but underwhelming
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Same here, not that I'll drink the stuff. No doubt I'll find someone in work willing to drink it for me. I didn't log that many rides as commute either, safe to say I didn't challenge the top of the leaderboard.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've just signed up because I heard someone mention free stuff.

Planning on some longer rides in while the kids are off school so I'll see if I can make the leaderboard.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now hit one million miles, although looking at some of the 'commutes' I suspect some liberal use of the word, starting and finishing at the same point is not, to me, a commute!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    The Rookie wrote:
    Now hit one million miles, although looking at some of the 'commutes' I suspect some liberal use of the word, starting and finishing at the same point is not, to me, a commute!
    :mrgreen:

At least my 30 mile commutes usually start and finish half a mile apart.

Strava tags all my rides as commute by default, because most of them are. If it's anything different I have to remember to untag them.

The colleagues who wanted my cans of Red Bull still have them on their desk, unopened... :roll:
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    I was honest

Got my free Red Bull
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I know this was last years board but am doing it for this year, how do you tag it as commute? mine automatically just says morning ride or afternoon ride, do I just edit the text to commute? or is there something else I'm missing here?
  • elbowloh
    Vulva65 wrote:
    I know this was last years board but am doing it for this year, how do you tag it as commute? mine automatically just says morning ride or afternoon ride, do I just edit the text to commute? or is there something else I'm missing here?
    On the Strava app, there's a button/flag called commute on the bottom right of the page if you go into "edit". Just click on that.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Signed up for this year, but appears that they are only offering a free pack of redbull to the first 2500 that recorded a mile - think that's likely gone now!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I lie. Got home to a box, which had the added bonus of both cans having a month of free strava code under the ringpull..
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I too have my two cans, I decided not to cheat and do a 'not really a commute, commute' on Sunday but my Monday (02/07) commute was still in the first 2,500 it seems! Again there are some liberal interpretations of a commute being entered!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I don't drink the stuff but my two cans arrived Monday.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nothing here despite signing up and having done 100 commutey miles by the 3rd! I think I'll live...