friday is a simulation

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,558
edited June 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

supposed to go to gym but wimped out, soon cafe, wfh, present to punter of a gmc punter of gmc, cafe, wfh, ponder stuff

hangover mostly gone, though i suspect liver may need a rest, at least until dinner time

i hope last night's bb bash (bbb) kept up the standard and got suitably blammed
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Only semi blammed for me at the bbb. Stevo was necking pints of high abv cloudy cider though, so might be feeling it a touch this morning.

Boss back from bosses' offsite. I expect to engage in furious paper shuffling and simulation of business, along with deployment of encouraging noises.

Coffee and a fry up are definitely on the cards.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    hopkinb wrote:
    Only semi blammed for me at the bbb. Stevo was necking pints of high abv cloudy cider though, so might be feeling it a touch this morning.
    Coswold, that's what I was going to have :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,332
    sungod wrote:
    i hope last night's bb bash (bbb) kept up the standard and got suitably blammed
    Only a little wobbly after a selection of ales. Thought I'd have a steady ride home and take it easy, that worked really well until someone passed me. So I smashed it passed him going up the dip at Ham and left him for dead.
    Head feels like it's Thursday this morning, just a slight fog. Tea is being drunk, coffee machine is on. Should be the usual Friday with a busy morning and then someone turns the switch off at about 2pm. Meeting the Mrs in the pub on the way home.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,567
    hopkinb wrote:

Boss back from bosses' offsite. I expect to engage in furious paper shuffling and simulation of business, along with deployment of encouraging noises.

Coffee and a fry up are definitely on the cards.
    I felt OK when I left but somehow deteriorated on the way home. Managed to get the on the wrong train and had to get a taxi home from Orpington :D

Feeling not too bad considering but had to endure the 'wall of silence' this morning :roll:

Now on the train into town and agree with coffee plan. Will have to delegate more this morning to compensate for my likely lack of productivity.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Southern, shandy-drinking softies.

Warm rain over here.
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Feeling not too bad considering but had to endure the 'wall of silence' this morning :roll:
    I just got laughed at when I got in. Hope you're on the right train this morning.
    Good night though, I enjoyed that.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I just got laughed at when I got in. Hope you're on the right train this morning.
    Train just pulling into Victoria so I guessed right this morning :)

Good evening that was, must do it again sometime.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    fecking disc brakes.

They were HONKING .... so cleaned and sanded the rotors, degreased the caliper, replaced the pads, bedded them in, went for a ride with the family and enjoyed the peace and quiet of discs with the awesome stopping power on big gradient descents whilst twoing a 6 y/o on a tagalong.

this morning, get back on the bike ... and ..... HOOOOOOOOOONK !!!! ..... one day, they lasted one day .. I hate them, I really really hate them
  • hopkinb
    fat daddy wrote:
    ******* disc brakes.

They were HONKING .... so cleaned and sanded the rotors, degreased the caliper, replaced the pads, bedded them in, went for a ride with the family and enjoyed the peace and quiet of discs with the awesome stopping power on big gradient descents whilst twoing a 6 y/o on a tagalong.

this morning, get back on the bike ... and ..... HOOOOOOOOOONK !!!! ..... one day, they lasted one day .. I hate them, I really really hate them

What do you do to them?! I just squirt my rotors with some proprietary disc brake cleaner very 3 months or so, and replace the pads when I start braking on the retainer clips. They honk a bit in the wet, and there's a bit of a protest under very heavy braking, but apart from that, they're trouble free.
  • veronese68
    Disc brake cleaner? That's more maintenance than I do on my discs.
  • hopkinb
    Off down to the canteen for bacon, hash browns, egg and a massive heap of fried mushrooms.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,874
    No hangover here :(

First run since the marathon felt ok this morning, nice short commute to the garage for the car to be serviced and now working at a nearby branch

Later is at least one pub as we drop eldest off for football training
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Disc brake cleaner? That's more maintenance than I do on my discs.

I only do it cos I have it.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    hopkinb wrote:
    What do you do to them?! I just squirt my rotors with some proprietary disc brake cleaner very 3 months or so, and replace the pads when I start braking on the retainer clips. They honk a bit in the wet, and there's a bit of a protest under very heavy braking, but apart from that, they're trouble free.

this is what pisses me off the most .... I have 2 MTBs with disk brakes .. they are silent, ... I have a single speed with a disc ... its silent.

and then I have this fecking Boredman hybrid .. with p1ssing annoying disc brakes that will not shut the feck up ... perhaps its not the pads, perhaps its something else that is causing the honk

I even considered turning it into a drop bar and using a spare 10sp STI setup I have and bunging on mechanical disk brakes instead on the bike is currently unridable due to the noise

how can it go from silence to honking in 1 day .. what has happened ?? ..... calipers leaking maybe ?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,369
    Friday's thread turns into workshop/thread to say what fettling you've done.

Just bin the fecking things. Who is this bored man?

Some BB bash that was - 3 protagonists. That's not enough for an uprising. It's enough to spark a pub fight. I am really disappointed that you didn't manage to lure some communters in and fleece them. I mean communtergate left deep wounds that will never be healed until there's some sort of retribution, even if that consists of money/free beer/hookers or blow.

Me got toots meeting me. Then it's the continuation of the wood burner fitting trials, bit of pointing the brickwork, bit of cleaning up the brickwork, skimming, tiling, sizing, painting, drilling, soldering, pipe work stuff...
    Maybe i'll get some pastries and sit and look at it for a while instead.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, minor panic this morning wen I tried to tax the car only to find its MOT ran out this morning, oops! panic booking for lunch which works out nice as theres a pub five minutes away.

Planning minimal levels of work then home and push a spinning blade of death round the garden.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Office day again, still recovering from mild panic yesterday involving golden eagles and a 6 month jail term...

All this wood burner talk reminds me that I need to replace the door seal on one of mine before we need it again. The thing gets immensely hot but it's impossible to keep it going over night because it lets too much air in around the seals and burns out in a few hours.
  • Garry H
    Just fixed a toilet seat. I'm practically an engineer.
  • Garry H
    HaydenM wrote:
    Office day again, still recovering from mild panic yesterday involving golden eagles and a 6 month jail term...

All this wood burner talk reminds me that I need to replace the door seal on one of mine before we need it again. The thing gets immensely hot but it's impossible to keep it going over night because it lets too much air in around the seals and burns out in a few hours.

Been climbing again, or is this related to lumberjacking?
  • haydenm
    Garry H wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Been climbing again, or is this related to lumberjacking?

Lumberjacking, two people failed to do their jobs properly and eagles have a 1.5km buffer zone around their nests in breeding season. Could have been bad! As we are technically the 'landowner' in rather than the 'manager' I wouldn't have been the one going to prison, plus it wasn't my fault but it still scared the crap out of me...
  • Garry H
    You have Golden eagles down there? Or is this up in the highlands somewhere?

Loads of buzzards over here.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,874
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Real women make your d1ck hard, not your life
  • haydenm
    Garry H wrote:
    You have Golden eagles down there? Or is this up in the highlands somewhere?

Loads of buzzards over here.

They are talking about reintroducing them near here (and they are in Galloway already) but this was up on the west coast, most of our forests are either in the Borders and Galloway or between Glasgow and Ft William. We've got a load of other stuff too in the rest of Scotland, Wales and SW England but those are the main concentrations of work.

This year we have had issues with eagles, buzzards, goshawks, pine martens, herons, owls, woodpeckers and obviously badgers. Easily enough to star in a feel good children's film...
  • Garry H
    Herons around here too. My son thinks they are pterodactyl.

No Stoats?
  • Stevo_666
    Garry H wrote:
    Herons around here too. My son thinks they are pterodactyl.

No Stoats?
    We've got one of the largest breeding colonies of Herons near us in the local park. Hate the things, always trying to get my goldfish until I put a decent array of hard and spiky plants around the pond.

Now having lunch and feeling a bit tired...
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Real women make your d1ck hard, not your life
    I'm not convinced I could get away with using that witty riposte given the mood she's in :P
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Garry H wrote:
    Just fixed a toilet seat. I'm practically an engineer.

Mechanical engineer that.

Car survived its MOT nothing too much to worry over so will slowly tackle those problems. nil motivation though now to do further work. Friday effect ill take it as.
  • veronese68
    Hmm, not going to look at possible new car tomorrow now. The workshop haven't checked it over yet so I'm not going yet as I was going to drive it away if it was any good.
    Cost to transfer the insurance is only £4.40, hardly seems worth charging.
  • Garry H
    oxoman wrote:
    Surely you mean toilet engineer not mechanical engineer :lol:

OK, plumbing engineer then