speedplay grease and lube ?

sibike
sibike Posts: 257
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I'm converting to speedplay zero pedals in a couple of weeks time . I want to make sure I have all the stuff I need to maintain them in the future . Do the speedplay users use any type of grease or speedplays own grease ? I'm also going to get a small syringe to try and get the grease in .
It also looks like I need to get some dry lube for the cleats . I usually use finishline dry lube , Is there better lube to use as ive been off the bike for nearly 3 years and not sure what is good now .

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That dry lube will be fine. Not needed to grease my speedplay yet....
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Almost any grease will work fine. I use marine grease for anything on my bike that needs grease including my Speedplay bearings as it resists moisture. Also I find any type of wax lube works well for the cleat/pedal. You don't want to use anything that attracts a lot of dirt such as oil and grease. You'll discover why when you track grease all over your carpet.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    This type of Weldtite grease gun gets recommended as an alternative to the official speedplay one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weldtite-Teflo ... red+grease

Any decent dry lube is fine for the cleat i've found.

Or see this link for using a syringe for grease injection...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=93604
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    yep, the weldtite with teflon grease works well

as does the finshline dry lube, used it for years
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I use Speedplay grease in a Speedplay grease gun. The grease is actually not branded Speedplay but it is a Marine grease approved by them. I also use it in headsets and BBs
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I have greased my speedplay pedals twice in 3 years.If they don't spin freely they are usually fine, it's when they can spin round fast the grease needs replacing. I find it easier to forget faffing about with a grease gun and to just remove the black plastic cap, undo the Allan key bolt and remove the whole body from the spindle and repack grease from the tube. I also swap around the metal bow ties from back to front as I have noticed them beginning to bend at the lip and have in turn started to damage the cleats. I had 2 of the horse shoe shaped cleat guides snap due to them catching on the bow tie lip.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    sungod wrote:
    yep, the weldtite with teflon grease works well

as does the finshline dry lube, used it for years

+1 for both of those.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    A basic medicine syringe works fine for greasing the pedals - good for getting grease onto bearings races too.
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    thanks for the tips and replies