Lower Headset Bearing

berliner
berliner Posts: 340
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Just taken the forks out in order to replace bearings. Is the cone just above the forks removable.? Feels as if its part of the forks.

https://goo.gl/photos/cZ7ZcoLXiprs91QC6

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Should be - although that is a mess. It looks like it's well stuck. Try some decent penetrating fluid and then carefully tap it off.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That looks nasty.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    yeah, nasty, looks like galvanic corrosion

there could be two bits stuck on there, try plusgas to penetrate, though i think it may not help much, in spain i've seen combined freezing/penetrating spray, that might be more effective as the aluminium will contract slightly more than the steel, must be available in uk too

other ideas...
    an lbs should have a crown race removal tool which avoids impact

or use a dremel to cut a notch almost through, then spread the notch with a screwdriver to snap the thing off

the corrosion bubbling the paint the at the top of the forks is bad, the lettering says 'carbon' but the steerer at least is aluminium, it could still be ok, but if there's corrosion where there's an al-al or al-cf bond then seriously consider binning them, a failure at that point would be extremely dangerous
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The bonded part is a lot further down though - about where the OCLV logo is.

That's just the paint bubbling. I would want to remove the brake and grease the bolt though because the chances are it's well stuck too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Thanks for your help guys. Appreciated. I have accepted I can't do every job but my LBS can and they did. All sorted.