bike dilema

jxk095
jxk095 Posts: 7
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
hi folks.
i recently got into cycling (and triathlon). i bought a specialized allez elite 2017 model and i am wondering if its worth investing in new wheels/ components or just worth buying a new bike all together? i mostly ride 30km roughly rather than long days in the saddle.
if the components are the way to go does anyone have advice on what is worth looking at?
thanks in advance
Jamie

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not really sure what you think a new bike will give you that the current one won't. Lets just say the bike will not be to blame if you do badly in a race....
  • jxk095
    very true.
    i guess its all about those incremental upgrades, marginal gains etc.
    also the enjoyment of the sport. it was a lot more fun going up a big hill on my friends fancier bike than it is on mine (he says its the wheels which do it).
    you are right none the less. new bikes and kit wont suddenly turn me into froome or a brownlee!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I'd get wheels, they make a massive difference and if you are clever with your choice you can swap them between bikes as well

I quite like having a comfortable set and a light weight set ... sounds better than summer/winter
  • jxk095
    any advice on which ones?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Don't bother with groupset/components as they will add very little if any gains, wheels, tyres and tubes offer the biggest gains in terms of speed, comfort and aesthetics.

As for which to get...how much do you want to spend?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just buy some nice tyres (GPS4000sII or Schwalbe One, etc.), set the right pressure (which isn't 120PSI, btw) and ride your bike. If you are new to cycling then there isn't really a big spending shortcut that will make you significantly faster though.

When you have put some miles in, have a think about what you want to achieve. If it is to ride 30km triathlons then your position will have a bigger impact on speed rather than new wheels, so clip on aero bars and a bike fit are probably the way to go until you feel that a TT bike is justified.
  • jxk095
    thanks everyone.
    i have had a bike fit and it made a huge difference... best money you can spend on a bike i reckon. i'm probably not as much of a rookie as i made out so the initial just getting used to riding phase is over i think.
    looking to spend up to 300 on stuff.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Spend it on stuff which will help you ride more. Comfy clothes, new better tyres when your current ones wear out, decent shoes etc.

if you really want to spend money on bits (and haven't we all been there) then buy a better set of wheels, you can always switch them when you get a different bike so no money lost.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Best money is spent on things that help you ride more - so maybe stuff like computers to track your progression or clothing to enable you to ride in cold/wet weather.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    If you want to get quicker I would spend the money on a Smart Turbo trainer if you dont have one
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just had a quick look at the spec.

Carbon fork
    10 speed tiagra
    axis brakeset
    axis wheels

The frame/fork are good - same geo as the Tarmac and (IMHO) excellent quality.
    Where this bike is "let down" - ie how they fit it into the pricepoint is in the components - not that there's anything particularly wrong with them, but they are the low end ones.

First upgrade I'd do is the wheelset - you'll get 101 opinions on which wheelset to go for - I went for some Fulcrum Racing 5s - felt better and run nicely - I've now got FR Quattros for my other bike and they're nice too - doubt I'd really tell the difference though.
    I'd also look for some replacement brake calipers - Shimano 105 or better.

The Groupset can be replaced - but you'd need to decide if you're going to stick with 10 speed or go 11 - having a clear cockpit is nice - so Ultegra 10 speed STIs would be a nice replacement and can be bought fairly cheaply these days.

Bear in mind that in a couple of years you'll be hankering after a full carbon bike - keep this one as a rough weather/winter bike though :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    jxk095 wrote:
    i mostly ride 30km roughly rather than long days in the saddle.
    Jamie

You're never going to set the world of triathlon on fire if that's your training. Olympic distance is 40km so you need to be well used to that distance- and unlike running - with cycling you can go over your distance easily in training.

Your bike is fine. Your training would give you the most room for improvement.
  • jxk095
    thanks all.
    i have got lucky and been given a set of fulcrum 3s by a friend to try for a while so ill be able to see for myself. and yes training is most definitely the most important part but i'm a junior dr and time and energy is not always readily available.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fair enough then ! Keep up the good work !
  • Hendrix2430
    Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
    Definitely invest on some bib shorts / base layers / jerseys... and either a garmin computer/ quad lock mount + iPhone.

Those things will make you want to cycle more and more and more...