Mavic freehub body with bearings, not bushing

shimanobottombracket
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Is there anywhere that I can order a Mavic 10 speed freehub body compatible with a shimano cassette? I dont want another one with the white bushing. They are a source of issues from what I have read. The inner diameters for the bearings would need to be 9mm and 25 mm.

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I think the closest you'll find is the HubDoctor Pro conversion kit; I used this on my Mavic freehub and whilst it works well, it does have a few drawbacks. I've linked a thread that I started on it below, but in short, if I were you I'd just go for another white nylon bushing (of the appropriate diameter if your hub is worn) and just make sure you use an appropriate thickness lube and service is fairly regularly.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13062486
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the closest you'll find is the HubDoctor Pro conversion kit; I used this on my Mavic freehub and whilst it works well, it does have a few drawbacks. I've linked a thread that I started on it below, but in short, if I were you I'd just go for another white nylon bushing (of the appropriate diameter if your hub is worn) and just make sure you use an appropriate thickness lube and service is fairly regularly.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13062486

Did you manage to sort out the seal drag Buck?
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    No, I ran it without the seal and it seemed to keep enough of the dirt out that I didn't worry about it too much, although I do tend to service and clean things fairly regularly.

I'm sure, as Ugo said, if I'd have run the seal for a few rides it probably would've eased up, but it was a bit alarming as it was. I had visions of my sagging chain ending up in my spokes or something stupid like that.

That wheel is now retired to turbo duties due to an excessively worn rim so it sees even less dirt now! It still has the best coasting ability of any wheel I've ever seen though, the drag from the bearing-converted freehub (minus seal!) is absolutely miniscule.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I have recently converted mine to the hub doctor pro bearing. I used the SLR seal that comes with the kit and while there is a tiny bit of drag, it is not causing an issue.

Worth doing if your hub is worn and out of warranty.