OT: Non Solicited Goods. Possibly.

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
There was a parcel waiting for me when I got home today; a brand new sealed pair of Bose QC35 headphones.

That I didn't order. I've checked all my emails, my bank account, credit card and PayPal, and they aren't mine.

But they were addressed to me.

There was no return address, no invoice or anything else in the package.

I did order some Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s recently and that order was cancelled by the eBay seller due to lack of stock, even though they were advertising them still two days later and I received a full refund for that.

So, what should I do? The relevant consumer rights and unsolicited goods acts are confusing as they generally assume the seller contacts the receiver or vice versa but that's not an option here.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The only thing that crossed my mind was when Mrs MRS was victim to a catalogue scam. People sign up for stuff in your name. Catalogue companies are shocking for checking your details (they had my wife's dob wrong yet this was one of their "security checks"). Once they've successfully sent you something, they will, apparently, send stuff to other addresses. Quite who has stuff turn up they didn't order, pays for it, and thinks no more about it, I have no idea. But you don't even have an invoice (yet). In any case, tread carefully.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Unsolicited goods was designed to stop all that 6 free video or book nonsense rather than dealing with people sending you stuff in error.

But this is different and, as MRS said, odd. Any clues from the postage label of where they came from etc?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I bet if you check that Ebay seller - they'll be selling those headphones. Somehow you've got them by mistake. Not sure of the legalities of it all though.
  • bendertherobot
    Oh and, if it helps, during my extensive research on those two models, it did appear that the QC35 were probably the better investment.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I got scammed in a similar way by VIrgin wines years ago... but I got charged too...
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Oh and, if it helps, during my extensive research on those two models, it did appear that the QC35 were probably the better investment.

Miss MRS has a set of them and her waste of space ex-boyfriend regretted buying the pair he had when he heard hers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    I've yet to buy a pair, having opted for a Sonos soundbar at the time instead, but they are on my list.
  • asprilla
    I've yet to buy a pair, having opted for a Sonos soundbar at the time instead, but they are on my list.

Sony's are the best ANC but are prone to hinge failure.
    Bose are close second
    Sennheiser's are third for ANC but number one for build quality and musicality.

I chose the Sennheisers.. If Sony build quality improves I might trade up in the future. Depends if I get the job in London or the job that flies me round Europe.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • According to this BBC article from last summer, what you've got sounds like it's truly unsolicited and therefore you could legally keep it. Whether keeping it would then 'cost' you in other ways I have no idea, but something like that sounds too expensive to be a marketing freebie?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    When I was an e-bay seller, I occasionally sent parcels to the wrong address. I downloaded a label that was for an order that was subsequently cancelled and put it on the wrong package. Sounds like a similar situation. If I was the seller I would want them back and would sort out costs.
  • asprilla
    mrfpb wrote:
    When I was an e-bay seller, I occasionally sent parcels to the wrong address. I downloaded a label that was for an order that was subsequently cancelled and put it on the wrong package. Sounds like a similar situation. If I was the seller I would want them back and would sort out costs.

Probably the case as its a pre-paid postage lable. I'll await their email once the proper purchaser gets in touch about their non-delivery.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bendertherobot
    http://community.ebay.co.uk/ebay04/atta ... nedfor.jpg

Does it look, signed for aside, like that? Mine defaults to having a return address on there.
  • asprilla
    http://community.ebay.co.uk/ebay04/attachments/ebay04/ArchiveBuyerCentral/42859/1/signedfor.jpg

Does it look, signed for aside, like that? Mine defaults to having a return address on there.

No. It looks like its been printed at the PO actually.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC with unsolicited goods that have been sent to you, you inform the sender that the goods are ready for collection. You should not have to pay for them to go back and after 6 months if the goods haven't been collected then title of the goods passes to yourself.
    That might not be 100% accurate but the basics are correct.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asprilla
    redvee wrote:
    IIRC with unsolicited goods that have been sent to you, you inform the sender that the goods are ready for collection. You should not have to pay for them to go back and after 6 months if the goods haven't been collected then title of the goods passes to yourself.
    That might not be 100% accurate but the basics are correct.

That's my understanding. However, I can't contact the vendor because I don't know who it is. Most likely one of two recent sellers I interacted with.

Secondly, goods sent to you in error are NOT unsolicited goods.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    One other thought: Have you entered any competitions?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    TGOTB wrote:
    One other thought: Have you entered any competitions?

Only life and I'm winning but its not over yet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I have no advice to give re. the unsolicited package.

If we're talking noise-cancellation, however, my Plantronics headphones are blumming lovely. Never got on with Bose for more than a few moments, despite their effectiveness, due to the fact that there always seems to be a pressure on the eardrums when I wear them as though it's really loud, even though it's silent. Weird.
  • asprilla
    If we're talking noise-cancellation, however, my Plantronics headphones are blumming lovely. Never got on with Bose for more than a few moments, despite their effectiveness, due to the fact that there always seems to be a pressure on the eardrums when I wear them as though it's really loud, even though it's silent. Weird.

Most people get that with ANC.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:

Most people get that with ANC.

For me, only really with Bose - no problem at all with my Plantronics, nor the Panasonics/Sony ones I've had previously.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've checked all my emails, my bank account, credit card and PayPal, and they aren't mine.
    That you know of.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does the vendor selling the Sennheiser sell the QC35?

My son had a laptop delivered (£1450 worth) it took two hours of detective work to find out he'd won it in a competition and hadn't been informed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    The Rookie wrote:
    Does the vendor selling the Sennheiser sell the QC35?

My son had a laptop delivered (£1450 worth) it took two hours of detective work to find out he'd won it in a competition and hadn't been informed!

Not in their current listings. Both vendors appear to sell all manner of suff.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3