New rear brake

Biblu
Biblu Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
My rear brake suddenly stopped working after a ride a few weeks ago, just seized tight on the disc.

After doing some research and trying to clean/loosen the piston and get it to return back into the calliper, I've given up and am going to listen to what a few people have told me and invest in a new rear brake.

It's a big decision for me being the cheapskate that I am :lol:

I am looking for some advise on what to buy as I have no idea
Bike = B'Twin Rockrider 8.1 (2012ish)
Brakes = Avid Elixir 3

Looking for something reasonably priced, good value for money and good quality. I'm a casual rider around woods and bridleways, so not looking for the best performance money can buy.

Can I just buy any old hydraulic rear brakes? Are they all the same design so it will just mount directly where my Elixir's currently do?...or do I also need to purchase a new mounting bracket?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you tried bleeding the brake?
    Elixirs are very susceptible to hot weather causing the fluid to expand, forcing the brake on. Getting rid of a small volume of brake fluid usually sorts it out.
    If that doesn't work then I'd suggest buying a set of Shimano Deore brakes. They are quite cheap but offer excellent performance.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Biblu
    Biblu Posts: 3
    JBA wrote:
    Have you tried bleeding the brake?
    Elixirs are very susceptible to hot weather causing the fluid to expand, forcing the brake on. Getting rid of a small volume of brake fluid usually sorts it out.

I haven't tried bleeding it, I took the pads out, tried cleaning the pistons with cotton wool bud and IPA and working them back in but they would not budge.

I read and heard that Avid's are notoriously difficult once they start to 'go wrong', so figured rather than spending £15 on a bleed kit, I could add a little more to that £15 and just buy a new brake. The desire inside me wants to tinker and fix it, but the cheapskate says I could just be wasting £15 because its something else thats broke.

I suppose getting rid of some brake fluid is free so worth a try - the local bike shop also suggested this so I'll give it a shot tonight.
    JBA wrote:
    If that doesn't work then I'd suggest buying a set of Shimano Deore brakes. They are quite cheap but offer excellent performance.

I've read a few recommendations for 'Deore' or 'Alivio' but when I look around I see theres a lot of variants; 'M445' and M4000' etc.

Are the numbers yearly models, or difference in performance etc?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes they are the model numbers I think the latest deore brakes are m615. I would recommend swapping them out to shimano deore are good but if you can afford it to get a set or the slx or xt brakes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Google for 'burping' Avid brakes, cheap and easy and quick, cleaning makes no difference at all if its overfilled/fluid expansion causing it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.