Spokes pinging?

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I have a set of DT Swiss RRC65 Dicut carbon clinchers which are approx 4 months old or thereabouts.

Recently (over the past 2-3 months) I am getting a pinging noise coming from the spokes when riding, its more prominent when I first start riding then after about 5-10 minutes it seems to stop, then intermittently comes back when riding at slow speeds?

The tension on the wheels seems fine, they run true and have not had any knocks or anything?

What is this a sign of?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pinging is usually experienced with new-build wheels that haven't been de-stressed and as you ride along the wound-up spokes torsionally relieve themselves when the rim is under compression. It's unusual to be happening all the time, particularly as DT Swiss use locking nipples that don't generally work themselves loose. It could be that the wheel is flexing under load? I would get the dealer to check them out under warranty
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Cheers Monty Dog.

After I posted this I contacted Madison who put me in contact with the warranty guys for DT Swiss, I have pinged them an email asking what to do and I suspect they will want them in for examination.

Its really strange as the wheels are used daily so should be bedded in by now, they run true and the spoke tension seems fine (checked by me and my LBS), still it shouldn't happen and whilst they are under warranty I need to get it sorted.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    When it comes to DT Swiss wheels, nothing is strange. IME their builds are shocking
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Try a drop of lube where the DS spokes cross and touch each other. Ive had Neutrons that ping and that cured it.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo