Feel for cornering grip

JW599
JW599 Posts: 30
edited June 2017 in MTB beginners
This isn't nessersily a question on corning technique, but more on how the bike & tyres feel when approching the limit of traction in a corner.

Cornering is always something that I lack in confidence - I think this came from a nasty spill on a wet drain cover when I first started cycling again a couple of years ago, this led to more than a broken bike on what was like one of my first few rides after 15 years.

I have this thing in my head that the bike is going to suddenly slip from under me and it's going to hurt like that bloody drain cover!

I spent many years into motor racing (mainly track days). As it's on 4 wheels any loss of traction was a lot of fun and came on gradually! On my MTB I go no where the limit in fear of wiping out. It took me a while to get comfortable tilting the bike, it just felt weird at first!

I've had the experience of pushing into berms at speed, but this ony happens after a good hour of riding - this is also with heavier extra nobbly tyres at low pressure.

Realisically it all seems to be in my head. I'm posting this as last night I tried a few laps on a local BMX track (extra dry loose gravel) on my cycle back from work. As I had summer tyres at higher pressures on loose ground I found my self tensing up and going wide. I was tensing up as I kept thinking the tyres won't grip and the more I tilt the bike the more chance of it falling from under me.

All material I've read or watched on youtube talks about techique and generating traction, I can't seem to find anything on how to improve a sense for actual traction. I've done the figure of 8 thing on wet grass but I found that only helped for those specific corners, confidence was lost again when I went back to differnt corners.

Comments

• OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    I think it totally depends on the type of dirt you are riding on. Where I mostly ride is fairly sandy, so there is a nice sliding feeling when hitting the limit. This is a lot more forgiving than hard pack, or with small stones on it. But year, it's a drifting feeling.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    When they go there won't be much warning.
    Falling off sideways on dirt will probably be a lot gentler than you think it will be. No drain covers and no hard tarmac so you'll probably be alright. Its hitting trees that generally does the damage. If you've got a mental block follow riders with similar bikes/setups to yourself that are around your level and you'll realise what's possible and what lines work for them.
    Good luck.