Campagnolo Neutron/DT Swiss RR21 wheels

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I am looking at getting some new wheels for my Trek Emonda SL6. . I'm Not after aero, but great ride, light weight, smooth serviceable hubs and strong rims. I like the sound of the Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheels looking at reviews. Alternatively the DT Swiss RR21 DICUT look pretty up my street too. Has anybody experienced these? Would you recommend either or both?

I don't race but do 5000 miles a year for pleasure and fitness.

thanks
Chris
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've been riding Neutrons for the last few years. They are pretty durable. Nice and light, hubs are very smooth. I'm over 80kg and haven't noticed any significant flex. I have broken a spoke once or twice and LBS was able to replace pretty quickly and easily. Also managed to rebuild the front wheel when the rim wore down but that was lucky - managed to find someone with a front wheel with a cracked hub so picked up his relaively unused rim for peanuts. Otherwise, you'd struggle as they have an unusual spoke number (22).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    The Neutron are a classic and will hardly hear a bad word about them. That would be my preferred choice. However, the stupid spoke count at the front (22 if I remember corrently) makes it un-rebuildable
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Neutron are a classic and will hardly hear a bad word about them

This. Had a pair of neutrons for about 6 years, rode them in all conditions and they held up to everything. Only ever had to tighten a couple of loose spokes in all that time. Another thing which I don't often see mentioned with campag wheels is the hub and bearing quality which from personal experience is excellent.
  • My neutrons , not ultras are 10 years old , raced , crashed , long hilly sportive riding , chaingangs , canal tow paths , 3 years as winter wheels , barley a mark on them.
    I have re greased them twice , changed bearings once. Never needed truing. Oh and tyres are a bugger to change as there is no central well in the middle. Can't have it all !
    I think fulcrum 3 , zonda , Eurus , do the same job but have odd look about them as the front looks nothing like the back.
    That will be this important 3G pattern we can't manage without.
  • saladfunky
    Great thanks for the reply's. Campagnolo came out of that survey with flying colours. Has nobody ridden the DT SWISS RR21s??

Chris
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    From the description of what you are looking for in a wheel, I'd say you've pretty much described the Neutron Ultras. Light, strong, comfortable, spin up quick and easily serviceable. Internal nipples means you need to take the tyres off before truing, although have never needed to. Completely happy with mine and stopped wasting time lusting after wheels a long time ago as a result.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Got the RR21s on my Canyon but not got much to compare them with - was a big step up from last bike/wheel and now running 28mms. Disc version, through axle.

Nice and light. Not had a single issue with them. Sorry, can't say more than that. Only had them for just under a year.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would also add a couple of Shimano options to the list if you are looking for light smooth 15mm wheels with great serviceable hubs: RS81 and DA24. Both have the same excellent carbon wrapped rim but either Ultegra or DA hub. Personally I think paying extra for DA is silly given that they will end up in the bin when the rims are shot but many others are happy to pay the excess to save 50g.

The RS81 are a good bit cheaper than the Campag and I thought they were great all round wheels. Easy to change tyres too, unlike the Campag.

Then again, 15mm is looking terribly old hat now, and I was out on some Open Pros last night ☺
  • saladfunky
    rnath wrote:
    From the description of what you are looking for in a wheel, I'd say you've pretty much described the Neutron Ultras. Light, strong, comfortable, spin up quick and easily serviceable. Internal nipples means you need to take the tyres off before truing, although have never needed to. Completely happy with mine and stopped wasting time lusting after wheels a long time ago as a result.

Good to hear your review there rnath , how do you get on with the tyre changes? Lots seem to find this hard with the neutrons! Also, how have your rims worn?
    cheers
    chris
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    saladfunky wrote:
    how do you get on with the tyre changes? Lots seem to find this hard with the neutrons! Also, how have your rims worn?
    cheers
    chris

Like you, this is the one thing that made me a bit twitchy about buying these wheels. In practice, I've found them a little tougher than other wheels to get tyres on but certainly not, er... insurmountable (I thank you)? With proper technique and a good pair of levers it's been straightforward enough (I ride GP4000's). New tyres maybe need a bit of determination. Rim wear has been negligible after two years - although these are only used for dry miles.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    I sent you a PM a few days ago @saladfunky.