Rear shock upgrade

TheBeast45
TheBeast45 Posts: 39
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I currently have a rear shock with a 9 inch eye to eye measurement but I found a shock with a 9.5 inch eye to eye. My shock also has a 3.24 inch stroke but he one I want has a 3 inch stroke. Will the new shock work or do I need to find another one. Sorry if this post was stupid, I am quite new to mtb.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need the right size, that wrong shock will jack up the rear raising the BB and steepening the angles, you'll also have less travel and won't even be able to run a bit more sag to compensate for the longer eye to eye as it will restrict travel even more.

Its how to make a decent frame into a crap one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheBeast45
    TheBeast45 Posts: 39
    The Rookie wrote:
    You need the right size, that wrong shock will jack up the rear raising the BB and steepening the angles, you'll also have less travel and won't even be able to run a bit more sag to compensate for the longer eye to eye as it will restrict travel even more.

Its how to make a decent frame into a crap one!

I found another shock but this one is the same stroke but 1mm longer than my current one. Will it work or should I keep looking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1mm will be fine. As long as it is only 1mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What shock have you currently got and on what bike?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    1mm will be fine. As long as it is only 1mm.
    This, 1mm is within build tolerance anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.