Bamboo mtb frame?

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited June 2017 in MTB general
Anyone know how safe it is and how it feels like? It's quite cheap under 300 if you build it yourself which I like the idea of.
I mean is it a bargain, does it rival carbon? Or is it just a green option...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never seen a real one. Could be fun to build, but only if you have a real bike.

As for rivaling carbon, when I see a pro on one, I'll take it seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jsisidore
    But pros are tools, they follow other pros who follow sponsors :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know a couple of people who ride on road Hybrids.

Weight is similar to a reasonable alloy frame (sub 2Kg), torsional stiffness not quite as good as a metal frame (and a way off carbon) but give a smooth controlled ride. Personally I wouldn't have one for proper off road MTBing but for cruising and fire roads its a reasonable option (costs more than alloy though!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I'd agree with Cooldad and Rookie. A neighbour had one on test for a few days about 3 years ago. I quite liked the look of it and the idea, but only for riding around Richmond Park and to the pub, not for anything too serious. Unfortunately I couldn't ride it as my hand was held together with 6" nails at the time. He thought it was ok, I'm sure it's more of a gimmick than anything else. But what's the harm in a bit of fun?
  • jsisidore
    Ah so it's not stiff enough. I would imagine so.