Tub glue variations

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I'll admit to being out of date here.
I have just fitted a Vittoria Tub using their own Mastick. Tub was used but then nicely cleaned up so not shiny new contaminated but not covered in gobs of cement. Laid on the layers as normal/advised/recommended.
Then realised I had a better tub so yanked off. It was well stuck. Thing isalmost all, bar the odd tiny smear , of cement stayed on the rim. That makes it bugger all good as a spare. In the good old days of big tins of Clement cement tub removal left a good coating on the removed tub which once repaired became a fine spare. Whilst not ideal, such a tub on a rim with such a coating was fine for a roadside swap.
Am I expecting something too much from the Masstik?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    what's the problem with the one you removed?

i would just put a thin coat of new glue on, or two thin coats if the bare base tape is 'thirsty', and it's fine as a spare, way better than hoping old glue with a failed bond is safe

most, maybe all, current vittoria (and veloflex) tubs have a coated basetape, the coating-tape bond is weaker than the glue-coating bond, which often means a removed tub has mostly bare tape, it's not a problem, i repair my own, just reglue and they are fine

personally i wish they didn't put the coating on, it seems to be the fashion now, it can be scraped off but it's a nasty job

did you ever use clement glue with a coated tape? if not, you're not comparing like for like

if clement behaved as you say on a coated tape, it would mean the glue failed before the coating, i.e. the clement bond is weaker than mastik'one

tbh i never heard anyone say clement tub glue is better than mastik'one, but plenty say the opposite!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mattsccm
    Striped all the glue from the tub. Bone dry. The idea is, as it always was,that a old tub had enough glue left on it once removed to work as a get me home. The Mastik seems to dry out rather than remain tacky. No idea about a coating. Never heard of such a thing. Guess it's recoat the tube few times to rebuild the layer then.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mastik does dry (if it didn't, the tub risks rolling off), but is re-activated when new glue is applied over it. A bit of solvent also reactivates it..
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the coating is a latex type, its not tub glue. you dont need to build it up again, just treat it like any other base tape and follow the mastik instructions, they work really well, makes a nice strong bond.
  • sungod
    i use a tufo as a spare, with a couple of coats of glue, it lives in a ziploc bag to keep sweat/spray off

if i use it on the road, remove the failed tub, fit the spare and inflate, it'll stick well enough to ride, just avoid heroic braking/cornering

even after 12-18 months, the dry glue still bonds under pressure
  • mattsccm
    Sungod has it but the Vittoria glue or maybe the base tape as suggested doesn't stay tacky. Off to get some Conti and see what that does with those base tapes.
  • sungod
    it does not need to stay tacky, what feels dry to touch will still bond under pressure, be aware people that have tested say conti glue is weaker than vittoria

if you have spare time, there's the epic ww glueing thread...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 13&t=72309

:)