Shimano SLX Shadow Plus issue

been28
been28 Posts: 8
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I recently purchased a Vitus sentier VRS from Chain reaction cycles and have ridden 3/4 times, no trails yet just using it to get around. It runs a full Shimnano SLX shadow plus 1x11 gear set and KMC X11 chain. I noticed a clunking noise when in 9th gear and with the shadow system switched on. After taking a look it appears that some of the pins in between the chain links are catching on the teeth of the 8th gear causing the chain to lift off and clunk back down repeatedly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this minor issue?

Many Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To clarify, shadow refers to the shape of the mech, plus refers to the clutch.

Its just a simple case of a tweak of the cable tension, wound in one detent (about 1/4 turn) should do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,147
    been28 wrote:
    Hi,

I recently purchased a Vitus sentier VRS from Chain reaction cycles and have ridden 3/4 times, no trails yet just using it to get around. It runs a full Shimnano SLX shadow plus 1x11 gear set and KMC X11 chain. I noticed a clunking noise when in 9th gear and with the shadow system switched on. After taking a look it appears that some of the pins in between the chain links are catching on the teeth of the 8th gear causing the chain to lift off and clunk back down repeatedly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this minor issue?

Many Thanks
    I'd be surprised if it's the chain pins catching. Do you have a photo?

If it's a new bike, the gear cable might have stretched a little bit which is no big deal. There should be a screw in adjuster on either the shifter or the derailleur - turn it quarter of a turn outwards to tighten the cable a little and see if that sorts the problem.
  • The Rookie
    If its in 9th and catching on 8th it needs LESS tension not more!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    The Rookie wrote:

surely really depends on how you are counting, is the 8th sprocket bigger than the 9th or vice versa?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, 1st is the big cog, 10th would be the small cog. Lowest to highest.

Which is why it's easier to just use size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    02GF74 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

surely really depends on how you are counting, is the 8th sprocket bigger than the 9th or vice versa?
    In a car do you pull away in 6th gear and go UP through the gears to first?

Do shimano/SRAM/Microshift displays number the smallest cog as first?

There is only one way of numbering it, anything else is moronic.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Whilst I agree that the numbering of big cog (1) to little cog (8/9/10) is clearly correct, it's far from unusual for people to get confused, presumably because they in general see the chain going "up" the top of the cassette towards the easier gears and "down" the cassette towards the harder gears. And then up front the numbers work in the opposite direction with respect to the size of the cog.

Added to that gear 1 is technically biggest at back, smallest up front, gear 2 may well be second largest at the back but the order of the rest will depend on the front / rear combination - no-one talks about being in gear 30 for example?

Golden rule would be - always worth clarifying when someone you don't really know throws out numbers in relation to the gears. Even if 1 for easiest is clearly 100% correct.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    I agree people get confused and its worth checking, but the OP's description in this case could only happen if he was numbering them correctly, so no clarification was needed.