Chiltern 100 2017

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
Anyone else doing this? Have signed up to do the full version, although will likely bottle it and do the 100km.

Feeling much more confident after finally conquering the dreaded Whiteleaf last night :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Isn't it a bit of a defeated attitude?

I have done it 3 times when I was local always in less than 7 hours... it can be a tough day out if it's hot... but it is a beautiful ride. Do it all, it's fully supported and you are never far from civilisation... no point in giving up before you even start.

It is highly likely I will do it without paying, as I am going to stay in the CHilterns that weekend
    left the forum March 2023
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Ah my local sportive...

New start/finish this year at Penn house rather than the Bovingdon airfield. And looks like more events going on during the day to make it a wider cycling festival including a retro ride...

Can't ride it this year as got other plans, but it is a great route! Might ride the greatest hits on the Saturday if I'm not needed for signposting duty...
  • secretsam

I have done it 3 times when I was local always in less than 7 hours... it can be a tough day out if it's hot... but it is a beautiful ride. Do it all, it's fully supported and you are never far from civilisation... no point in giving up before you even start.

It is highly likely I will do it without paying, as I am going to stay in the CHilterns that weekend

You're right, as ever. Did 49 miles including Whiteleaf, Wardrobes, Lodge Hill, The Hale and The Crong at the weekend (c.1,300m climbing). Felt OK if hungry, so will be gunning for medio fondo at least. Just taking it very, very slowly!!! :lol:

• ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

You're right, as ever. Did 49 miles including Whiteleaf, Wardrobes, Lodge Hill, The Hale and The Crong at the weekend (c.1,300m climbing). Felt OK if hungry, so will be gunning for medio fondo at least. Just taking it very, very slowly!!! :lol:

Do it all mate, don't be shy
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Is it short(ish) climb after short(ish) climb all day? Looks like I'll be in for this.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Is it short(ish) climb after short(ish) climb all day? Looks like I'll be in for this.

Yes, basically that's what it is
  • secretsam
    Argh ankle playing up, bit of achilles tenderness and general knack, over did it on a ride a couple of weeks back and still not good.

Still riding on Sunday, but a bit...scared. And disappointed, I've worked hard to get fit and now this!

• ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:
    Argh ankle playing up, bit of achilles tenderness and general knack, over did it on a ride a couple of weeks back and still not good.

Still riding on Sunday, but a bit...scared. And disappointed, I've worked hard to get fit and now this!

As usual, you are overthinking it. The course is designed so that you can pretty much bail out at any stage, as it keeps going up and the down the same ridge to pack up all that climbing. All you need is a map folded in your rear pocket or a garmin with maps... or, if you know the area, none of them.

You are never really more than a mile from civilisation
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    I've done it 4/5 times. Looks like they softened the route this year: 10 miles shorter and avoiding Bison Hill and Watlington Hill.
  • kingstongraham
    Really enjoyed it - I didn't have any idea how long or steep any of the climbs were going to be (on purpose), so a couple took me by surprise. There's some proper gradients in there.

The road surfaces are generally terrible though - would be cheaper to put signs where the roads have a decent surface. I did feel a bit sorry for the man who lives at the bottom of a hill who looked like he spent the morning shouting "Too fast" at cyclists. People actually were slowing quite a bit just before him because of warning signs.
  • secretsam
    Really enjoyed it - I didn't have any idea how long or steep any of the climbs were going to be (on purpose), so a couple took me by surprise. There's some proper gradients in there.

LOL, welcome to the Chilterns! I'm local but hadn't ridden a lot of the climbs, as you say, some real nasties in there.
    The road surfaces are generally terrible though - would be cheaper to put signs where the roads have a decent surface. I did feel a bit sorry for the man who lives at the bottom of a hill who looked like he spent the morning shouting "Too fast" at cyclists. People actually were slowing quite a bit just before him because of warning signs.

LOL, welcome to the Chilterns (again)! At least they've re-done the road past Chequers, which used to be appalling.

• ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

LOL, welcome to the Chilterns (again)! At least they've re-done the road past Chequers, which used to be appalling.

I guess it's because the Tories use it... don't think Tony Blair ever did
  • kingstongraham
    So what's with the SaxoBank "Ride like a Pro" kit? There seemed to be a big group out in that. I don't think I could do it myself.
  • ugo.santalucia
    So what's with the SaxoBank "Ride like a Pro" kit? There seemed to be a big group out in that. I don't think I could do it myself.

Sounds like a 4 figure packaged holiday in Majorca where they got to ride with a couple of domestiques of team Saxo