Does 1 garmin route work for 2 days?

jude2001
jude2001 Posts: 53
edited June 2017 in Road general
So I am wondering if it would work if I made 1 route that combines the routes of 2 days and I would be able to start the second day without any problems with the garmin? If that makes sense.

Comments

• jude2001
    I'm doing LEJOG btw
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    I would imagine so but it would involve pausing your garmin, turning off the device then turning on and resuming the activity the next day so it doesn't clear the route.

Why can't you just split the route in half and load one each morning?
  • jude2001
    Well, I forgot to create a new route for the second day. So I don't want to spend 2 hours doing the second half again. Thanks though.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What tool did you use to create the route? Some tools offer the chance to crop a ride so make sure you have a good backup and then see if you can crop two copies to make one half the first route and the other half the second route. Pausing will work but it can be patchy when you turn the device off, etc.
  • jude2001
    I'll just do it again
  • jude2001
    I used the strava route builder
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yes it's absolutely fine. I did this for a 3 day tour where I wasn't sure where we'd be camping. Just finish your ride each day as normal, then load up the route again the next day, and keep going.

If you join a route halfway along it's smart enough not to keep trying to send you back to the start, it just keeps going from where you joined the route.

Same goes for diversions on a normal route, if you leave the route then rejoin it at some later point it just picks back up.
  • bobmcstuff
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    What tool did you use to create the route? Some tools offer the chance to crop a ride so make sure you have a good backup and then see if you can crop two copies to make one half the first route and the other half the second route. Pausing will work but it can be patchy when you turn the device off, etc.

You don't need to pause, just finish the ride as normal and start as normal the next day, rejoining the route wherever you left off the day before. No special actions required.
  • jude2001
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Yes it's absolutely fine. I did this for a 3 day tour where I wasn't sure where we'd be camping. Just finish your ride each day as normal, then load up the route again the next day, and keep going.

If you join a route halfway along it's smart enough not to keep trying to send you back to the start, it just keeps going from where you joined the route.

Same goes for diversions on a normal route, if you leave the route then rejoin it at some later point it just picks back up.

Damn it! I've already gone and done both of the routes again now. Oh well. Thanks for the advice though. Useful to know in the future. :)
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Jude2001 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Damn it! I've already gone and done both of the routes again now. Oh well. Thanks for the advice though. Useful to know in the future. :)

my bad! sorry! :roll:

learn something new every day!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Jude2001 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

If you split long routes up it will be a lot quicker for the Garmin device to calculate the turn by turn instructions.
  • jude2001
    benjamess wrote:
    Jude2001 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

my bad! sorry! :roll:

learn something new every day!

Nah, it's cool.
  • jude2001
    wongataa wrote:
    Jude2001 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

If you split long routes up it will be a lot quicker for the Garmin device to calculate the turn by turn instructions.

And I'll be able to see where the end point is much clearer.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Route is fine, problem is whether you are able to save everything into a single file. I find that if I charge the device, I cannot then retrieve the file and add mileage to it. I need to start a new ride, using the same course
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    Route is fine, problem is whether you are able to save everything into a single file. I find that if I charge the device, I cannot then retrieve the file and add mileage to it. I need to start a new ride, using the same course
    And that's what I do for multiday touring.

I guess if you were doing one long audax you night want to have one ride file, but if you were really that keen to have it in one file you can always merge the two fit files afterwards (various tools online).