Carbon wheel questions

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels on my new Aeroad and I I have heard mixed things about the WTS tyres provided and wondered what alternatives to look at - particularly for puncture resistance as the roads are very flinty here.

I also wondered what the position is with tyre levers on these wheels, are they ok to use?

Cheers

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    If these are Cosmic Pro Carbon - in other words, alloy brake track and carbon fairing - then tyre levers are completely fine. As for the WTS, I've had mixed experiences of the Mavic Yksion tyres, but assuming these are clinchers, then I think they're OK. I'd give them a go before changing.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Never used the Mavic tyres but if you do end up wanting to change then Continental GP4000S are the best tyre for all round performance imo
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    my cento 10 air came with the mavic wheels and tyres combo. the wheels are great, its the inner tubes that are not great from mavic (very heav. the tyres don't roll as well as the faster tyres out there, but they are ok, though nothing special.
  • apprent1ce
    Many thanks for the responses.

I will give the Yksion a go and see how they do on these roads and will also look out for some GP4000S in the sales.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I swapped out the Yksion tyre from my Krysiums as I'd heard bad reviews. I probably used them once beforehand, so not enough to form an opinion. They were also 23mm, so not on trend!
    Somebody wants them though - I've just sold mine on fleabay for a decent price.

Probably best to give them a go, rather than just dismissing them straight away, you've nothing to lose (except sell-on value).
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    There's nothing wrong with the Yksion tyres. I wore out the pair that came with my RSYS SLRs and went out and bought another pair which are still going strong. They've been ridden in all kinds of situations from morning frost on the roads to breakneck descents in the pi$$ing rain. No issues.

They're made by Vittoria.
  • apprent1ce
    Thanks for feedback, it's appreciated.

I think my main concern was how robust the Yksion tyres are as the small country roads round here are very flinty. I have Gators on my supersix and the tyres are pretty pockmarked!