Carbon fork issue

tangoup51
tangoup51 Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Workshop
so, I ride a team boardman 2014 cx with Full carbon XC forks.

they're disc forks, but they have an eyelet drilled up top. I don't know if this is for front brake or mudguards but either way,

I have no idea what possessed me to do this but I took out the compression bung and shown a light around my forks, I found that the Eyelet hole has a cracked roof, the line is about 10mm long and about 1mm wide. It's not spread anywhere but the top of the eyelet hole.

Should I be worried about this? I'm not sure how structually sound an eyelet hole is supposed to be, after all they drilled a hole straight through that part of the fork, so presumably this doesn't take any load?

It's a manafacturing defect i'm 95% sure considering the forks are <1,200 miles, not crashed or even scratched.

What are your opinions

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    If you're in doubt, it might be best to get it checked out. However I'd be surprised if it was a crack or a manufacturing defect. The hole will be for mounting mudugards. The mounting bolt will pass through the entire fork and would be unaffected if the roof of the hole has been breached.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You have too much time on your hands...
  • tangoup51
    tangoup51 Posts: 5
    I'm sure it is a manufacturing defect, the top of the eyelet hole has splintered and looks distressing when you view it from the inside of the steerer tube. - There is no visible damage externally though.

I will get it checked out by the person who is going to warranty this bike but that said they'll usually take it away for safety reasons, but realistically is this fork Out of action? I know that if I installed a mounting bolt through the hole it'd be fine either way but what about the forks integrity.