Issues with indexing

Patd29
Patd29 Posts: 13
edited June 2017 in Workshop
https://ufile.io/1yjwu this is what 10th gear looks like, the other end is fine but I can't get this to work, I recently replaced the wheel but am using the same 10 speed Shimano 105 cassete with correct spacing.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    First thing I would do is clean everything and then set up the rear derailleur from scratch.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Patd29
    Patd29 Posts: 13
    k-dog wrote:
    First thing I would do is clean everything and then set up the rear derailleur from scratch.
    That sound nye on impossible, surely all I need to do is adjust bolts and all that.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No .. it was a valid response. There is no magic to indexing.
    If shifting is tat then check out YouTube for relevant 'how to's' dozens of them.
    Then , yes , clean , undo cable, and re attach...
    The image you can insert using the /img and link... saves going to a web site that I can't open because I run ad blocker on my Chrome to stop the rubbish appearing.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The high limit screw might be screwed in too much.

Look closely at those 2 screws next to each other. They will have letters next to them. The low screw is labelled L, the high screw is labelled H. Click into the highesr gear at the shifter then try turning the H screw outwards a few turns, then inwards until the top jockey wheels is directly inline with the 11t cog.

If that makes no difference then it might be too much cable tension. If so, best to unhook the cable from the derailleur. Then let the RD fall to the 11t cog, then re-attach the cable. Before doing so, screw the barrel adjuster on the RD fully inwards, also click the right STI shifter into the highest gear (press the little lever 9 times). Then use the barrel adjuster to fine tune the shifting

Also the gear hanger looks bent. If its badly bent that will prevent the RD from shifting into the 11t cog. You could try straightening it by removing it from the bike,placing it between 2 flat surfaces, and then hammer it flat. or easy option is buy a new hanger. a new hanger will need to match your frame.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    k-dog wrote:

THIS

Release the cable, make sure limit screws and barrel adjuster all have some adjustment available in them (either direction) and then set up from scratch
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™