Anybody spent time on the Reynolds Aero 65?

BurntHoosier18
BurntHoosier18 Posts: 27
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I've caught the racing bug, and after seeing some solid results over the last year I'm going buy some carbon wheels.

I live in Indianapolis where the Zipp HQ is, I've kept an open mind and don't want to get Zipps just because it's what everybody else rides. The Zipp 404, Enve 4.5s, and Reynolds aero 65 are in the running. I know people that have ridden all besides the Reynolds.

I can't find any reviews on them, just release articles with the specs. It's a new model, so has anybody spent time on these? If so, do you have any complaints or praise for them? I'm not too worried about crosswinds because I'm 170 lbs/77kg. I really want to know how the braking stacks up to the 4.5s and 404. The specs seem nice, being the widest with 19mm internal and 29mm external, and I've read good things about the I9 torch hub with some complaints about the noise.

Comments

• You are probably on the right lines, while there may not be much difference in ride quality/ stability the important issues on what the hubs sound like and the braking ability.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Did you find anything? I’m also eyeing them, but no reviews is rather daunting...
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Ive ridden loads of reynolds wheels and dont ride anything else, i have the attacks and the assaults and have been absolutely bomb proof and never look at any other wheels. Not ridden that model but any of the others ive ridden have all been great
  • 288GTO
    288GTO Posts: 79
    Ive ridden loads of reynolds wheels and dont ride anything else, i have the attacks and the assaults and have been absolutely bomb proof and never look at any other wheels. Not ridden that model but any of the others ive ridden have all been great

I know a local racer who went from Enve 4.5 with 180 hubs to the Reynolds aero 65 on his Factor One MK II. He told me the Enve's flexed too much and were not as good the Reynolds in crosswinds. I'm leaning towards these wheels on my new De Rosa SK Pininfarina. As for myself, I had the Zipp 404 NSW's and sold them to my friend as I found them inferior to my Campy Bora Ultra 50 in crosswinds, stiffness, and hub engagement. The Boras would be a no brainer for me but unfortunately I'm looking for higher profile aero wheels.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I've got Zipp 808s and a front Aero 90.

Anecdotally, I feel the braking performance is inferior on the Reynolds. This is using Reynolds cryoblue pads on their wheels and Campag red pads on the Zipps.

I'm a lightweight and crosswind performance is pretty similar to me despite the Reynolds being V-shaped and the Zipp being U-shaped.

Previously owned a pair of Reynolds Strike SLG and again I felt the braking was worse than my other carbon rims (Boras, 808s and even eBay Chinese).
  • dorin.boca
    dorin.boca Posts: 13
    I didn’t have a chance to try the 404 NSW but the 303 NSW are excellent in cross winds, the previous wheels I rode with were the Shimano C40 (hub died after 4’000km but got fully reiimbursed). The C40 in cross wind were horrible (or let’s say the winds were stronger in first half year).
    I also got the 303 NSW in heavy rain, didn’t have any issues stopping (once properly set and with Tangente)

My LBS let me return the 404s for pair of the new version, wider and tubeless, I’ll report in few weeks how they compare. Given the price difference I thought is worth getting the showstopper as I tried them on the 303 NSW, and compared to (the old) firecrest the braking is different league. With the new fire crest having the showstopper Zipp really topped the game making difficult to chose against them if you afford them