Unusual shape of headtube?

tangoup51
tangoup51 Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hey guys! first post here, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I just serviced my headset at 1,200 miles (Sealed tapered bearings) and thought I should check my headtube for correct dimensions (ovailsed etc)

I took out my calipers and ran them around the inner race of the taper in the headtube, it turns out its ovalized laterally - I,e, front/back are closer in than left/right by about 0.5mm - If you stare hard enough you can see it by eye.

I've never had a crash and i've not ridden these bearings stupidly loose or enough to be noticable during a ride.

The sealed bearing itself also checks out 100% accuracy in dimensions when I ran it through my calipers; so theres no sign of damage on the bearing.

I've only ever serviced the bearing once before; the sealed bearing itself is loose/snug into the race and never kicks up any imperfections or resistance, so I don't think I caused it.

On a side note; it causes no creaks or play, it works just as smooth as you'd expect it, almost as if the 0.5mm gap is ate up when it is taught? it is tapered after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if the metal moves into place when torqued down

So my question is

1) Why is this? What could cause this?

2) is this problematic? My frame is under warranty until this christmas and is made of alu.

Thanks!! :?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Maybe if you didn't bother with unnecessary headset "services" you wouldn't worry so much? if the bearings are sealed then there is nothing you can actually service, they should be simply replaced when they start to feel notchy (so not much of a service, more of a resolution to a problem). If the bearings feel fine in operation, ride your bike.