Small dent in CF handlebars

taksdd
taksdd Posts: 17
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I was changing stem and I think I didn't spread the force evenly on all screws which caused a small dent in my CF handlebars.

I think this is just a dent to lacquer / paint (it's quite shallow). But I am not 100% sure.That sounded bad sorry.. : DI tap the handlebars CF with a coin to see if the noise is muffled somewhere which could indicate that there is damage to CF structure... but it sounds "ok". There are no visible cracks. The handlebars still feel sturdy.

I have ridden it for couple of months and it all looks sturdy, no cracks/further dents etc..

Also worth mentioning I was using torque wrench and I used 3,5NM torque and the maximum allowed one is 5,5NM.

fodoiUn.jpg
6Dfs6ER.jpg
R2KGY9d.jpg

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I wouldn't worry about it, I have seen similar and much worse, and you've been sensible with the clamping torque, the 5.5nm would be excessive and unnecessary. It's surprising how many people go straight to max torque when it's not always needed particularly on grippy designed surfaces like that.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    agreed. I've also heard that manufacturers build a sort of sacrificial layer into the clamp area and that is what gets deformed - don't know if that's true but it would make sense.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.