Strava etc on android - help!

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Since I got a new phone (HTC), Strava has refused to pick up a GPS signal. So I've also tried Ride with GPS, but the same problem. And I do have location services switched on, and permissions to access location switched on. I've tried re-installing Strava, and turning off battery optimization, with no success.

Other apps (Google maps, weather, etc) know exactly where I am, so the phone is picking up a GPS signal, it's just somehow not interfacing with Strava or Ride with GPS.

Any techies out there with any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's possible that it's not getting a GPS signal but it is getting its location from mobile cellular services. Google maps will show a blue "circle of uncertainty" when using cell tower location indicating its lack of precision.

    Try leaving it somewhere with a good view of the sky with Strava running for a while (couple of hours).

    I would also probably download "GPS Status & toolbox" (others are available) to look at whether it's getting a signal from 3 or more satellites.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    GPS access can be set in permissions - ie it is possible that the App is installed but Android OS is, for some unfathomable reason, refusing to let it see the GPS
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,999
    As above, try installing GPS Status, but also GPS Test apps.

    Other tracking apps that are worth trying IMO and will sync with Strava...
    Ghostracer (the Pro version for £3 is well worth getting)
    Polar Beat (free, only downside is while it works with my polar H7 hrm, it doesn't work with my re-badged bluetooth Wahoo cadence sensor)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    imatfaal wrote:
    GPS access can be set in permissions - ie it is possible that the App is installed but Android OS is, for some unfathomable reason, refusing to let it see the GPS
    as imatfaal says, you can give each app in android permissions. Check that Strava and RWGPS have permission to use location services/gps.

    I've used Strava with 2 different HTC phones and not had issues. I do have some problems with my current Huawei device though. Often loses signal during rides and therefore doesn't record large chunks of rides.

    Edit: sorry just re-read your post and it seems you have set permissions for each app?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    elbowloh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    GPS access can be set in permissions - ie it is possible that the App is installed but Android OS is, for some unfathomable reason, refusing to let it see the GPS
    as imatfaal says, you can give each app in android permissions. Check that Strava and RWGPS have permission to use location services/gps.

    I've used Strava with 2 different HTC phones and not had issues. I do have some problems with my current Huawei device though. Often loses signal during rides and therefore doesn't record large chunks of rides.

    Edit: sorry just re-read your post and it seems you have set permissions for each app?

    Likewise, my Huawei is terrible.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    k1875 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    GPS access can be set in permissions - ie it is possible that the App is installed but Android OS is, for some unfathomable reason, refusing to let it see the GPS
    as imatfaal says, you can give each app in android permissions. Check that Strava and RWGPS have permission to use location services/gps.

    I've used Strava with 2 different HTC phones and not had issues. I do have some problems with my current Huawei device though. Often loses signal during rides and therefore doesn't record large chunks of rides.

    Edit: sorry just re-read your post and it seems you have set permissions for each app?

    Likewise, my Huawei is terrible.
    I have to say, that's the only problem I have with it. The screen is great, loads of memory, quick, good call quality and battery life also. Huawei P9
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll experiment a bit more
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I found the Strava app terrible for getting GPS fixes which is why I ditched it a long time ago, the main problem was that it said it had a GPS fix but when I uploaded it clearly didn't (maybe it just lost the signal as soon as I started moving? seems unlikely).

    I swapped to IPbike because it gives an audible indication as to whether it has a GPS fix, so at least you can decide whether to stop and try to sort it out. I'm not sure if the newer versions of the Strava app do this.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You say you have location services on but have actually turned on the GPS?
  • If only there were a dedicated gps. Something you could use for sports like running or cycling. Something that would fit on your wrist like a watch or just clipped onto your handlebars in some way.

    Ah well. Never mind eh
  • Just a quick thank you to everyone on this thread for reminding me why I don't want to get an Android phone next time.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If only there were a dedicated gps. Something you could use for sports like running or cycling. Something that would fit on your wrist like a watch or just clipped onto your handlebars in some way.

    Ah well. Never mind eh
    If you can't install Grindr on it I'm not interested :mrgreen:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If only there were a dedicated gps. Something you could use for sports like running or cycling. Something that would fit on your wrist like a watch or just clipped onto your handlebars in some way.

    Ah well. Never mind eh
    If you can't install Grindr on it I'm not interested :mrgreen:

    Is that like Strava but for BMX and Skateboarding?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    If only there were a dedicated gps. Something you could use for sports like running or cycling. Something that would fit on your wrist like a watch or just clipped onto your handlebars in some way.

    Ah well. Never mind eh
    If you can't install Grindr on it I'm not interested :mrgreen:

    Is that like Strava but for BMX and Skateboarding?

    Would explain the fascination for Lycra and ass pads.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    If only there were a dedicated gps. Something you could use for sports like running or cycling. Something that would fit on your wrist like a watch or just clipped onto your handlebars in some way.

    Ah well. Never mind eh
    If you can't install Grindr on it I'm not interested :mrgreen:

    And I presume that you think 'Screwfix' is the latest online dating app too?

    Huawei P9 lite here, great phone for everything bar Strava. Tends to record brilliantly until some random point in the ride when it just turns off e.g. my last MTB outing where it assumed I flew from the top of one hill to another

    EDIT: mind you my previous iphone 4S wasn't much better. Again it recorded rides perfectly unless I used it to take a photo at which point it stopped recording :?
    FCN = 4