Vintage Raleigh gearing advice

Davebo777
Davebo777 Posts: 44
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I just picked a Raleigh Carlton Grand Prix (either a Jul-1970 or a Jul-9180 according to the serial number).

I've cleaned it, put new cables on it, changed the seat and put some new tyres, brake blocks & bar tape on it. It rides a treat. Bottom bracket is good. Went out for a test ride of about 10 miles in the Yorkshire Dales and decided that, as lovely as it is, I could do with a little more help in the gears dept.

It has a Suntour Perfect 5 speed (14-24t) freewheel on it and 52/42 chainrings. The rear derailleur is a Raleigh badged Huret item. The RD has spring settings for 24 and 28 teeth. The shifters are on the down tube and not indexed.

I am thinking I could change the front inner chainring to a 39 and the rear cassette to a 7-speed 13-28t equivalent and I would get a broader gear range and smaller steps.

i would need to measure dropouts for clearance but does anyone think there is a no-no in that set up please ?

Thanks in advance, DBo.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I'm doing similar on a SunSolo but planning on a 14-28 six-speed and trying to find a square taper compact crank. I'll be cold setting the dropouts.
  • Davebo777
    Davebo777 Posts: 44
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I'll be cold setting the dropouts.

Yes, I think it will need to go from 120mm to 126mm for a 7 speed.

Good luck with yours.