Bikeradar Steel (cos it's real) Club!!

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    My steel steed Charge Plug mainly a commuter bike and winter bike,had been doing a bit of gravel road on this when this photo was taken a few years ago,it had been a long time since i had owned a steel bike probs late 90's and a mountain bike at that,it was cheap nothing like some of others on here,paid £380 at 6 weeks old mid Jan on Ebay,but i had forgotten just how plush steel was
    35614950564_f3bb6db335_k.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    shiny bike, cinelli xcr, in the morning sun

it's been around a few years now, new brakes this year

image.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    What's the spec on your bike Sungod? Looks to have some expensive kit hanging off it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I do like that SG, looks big enough for normal folk as well.
    Good to see you're spending money on the important things rather than house maintenance.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    Shortfall wrote:
    What's the spec on your bike Sungod? Looks to have some expensive kit hanging off it.

frame is 7 years old now, bb30 xcr, i think the only other bits that are original are the srm spider, fd hanger and the top cap, everything else i changed over time, ax post/saddle, cinelli ram 2 integrated bars, enve 2 fork, ee brakes, etap, lw obermayer wheels, nokon+powercordz

most years i tweak something, though aside from swapping the hoods if white ones become available there's nothing i really want to change now

nice thing about a stainless frame is i ride it all weathers, just wipe it down to clean, no fear of rust, the xcr steel has better strength/weight than titanium, with the thin tubes the frame rings like a bell, at speed on a smooth road you can hear it 'sing'

but i originally chose it knowing none of this, the decision process was pretty much: mmm, shiny - followed by an excruciating 6 month wait for the milanese to make the frame
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I do like that SG, looks big enough for normal folk as well.
    Good to see you're spending money on the important things rather than house maintenance.

yeah, i'm quite tall and not as flexy as i used to be! either i spend it or mrs s does :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Here's my new Holdsworth Elan, unfortunately just an off the shelf build for now.......but we all know it won't stay like that long. I just need to get comfy with the bars and cut the steerer down.

2COjSxa.jpg
  • umop3pisdn wrote:
    n0QUK3W.jpg

And now the matching winter bike:

cUkUimF.jpg
  • Nice... but I prefer my one
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    arlowood wrote:
    My long gone and sadly lamented Mercian Audax.

35358431875_4ca06c8398_c.jpg

Bought in 1996 and sold in 2010 when I thought a new bike itch would be scratched with a Specialized Alu. Sold on Ebay to a hipster type from London. Probably ended up as a courier bike

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm pretty sure it was me you sold it too, I have some pics somewhere i'll dig them out and no i'd didnt become a courier bike I upgraded it a little and rode it for a few years before selling it on a friend on here who's still not had it resprayed by Mercian.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    actually unless you changed the shifters before sale it wasnt me, everything else is 100% spot on spec wise
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rollemynot wrote:
    Nice... but I prefer my one

You seem to have forgotten mudguards
  • umop3pisdn wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Nice... but I prefer my one

You seem to have forgotten mudguards

On their way...

Currently enjoying a late Scottish summer
  • My new Mason Resolution
    36666438360_76d5c98fa0_z.jpg
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • txom
    txom Posts: 31
    Another Equilibrium
    2017-09-06_12.25.48.jpg
  • txom wrote:
    Another Equilibrium
    2017-09-06_12.25.48.jpg

Nice saddle/tape match not sure on the orange mix though
  • txom
    Nice saddle/tape match not sure on the orange mix though

The brown and orange? I think it just about works, and brown saddle and bar tape on a steel bike just seems right. I'm not convinced about the bottle cages against the decals, but googling "burnt orange bottle cages" doesn't turn up many results.

Aside from that, it's a similar spec to the off-the-peg 2015 Equilibrium 20, but with hydraulic brakes and Ritchey bars, stem and post.
  • Hi txom, what bar tape is that please? (I'm looking to do a similar build) - and it's a Charge Spoon saddle?

Thanks!
  • Hi txom, what bar tape is that please? (I'm looking to do a similar build) - and it's a Charge Spoon saddle?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what that bar tape is but I run a brown charge spoon and the Deda brown bar tape is an almost perfect match
  • txom
    Yep, Charge Spoon and Fizik Superlight honey brown tape
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    The Light Blue - Kings

rtqqh4.jpg
  • txom wrote:
    Yep, Charge Spoon and Fizik Superlight honey brown tape

Thanks txom and matt :D
  • Pnev wrote:
    The Light Blue - Kings
    rtqqh4.jpg
    I think, the frame size after next would be about right.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think my previous contribution to this thread has been scuppered by Photobucket being run by a bunch of gobsh1tes. So here's a recent photo (taken in my cell, as coined by Ugo)...

36468615264_c6376b7b9a_k.jpgGios Megalite by Ben H, on Flickr
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Thats lovely Ben. One of my cycling regrets is not buying a Gios from one of my dad's friends when I was about 18. I have a Pegoretti coming this month though, so I am finally satisfying my desire for Italian steel.
  • Ben6899
    Thanks mate.

And I think a Pegoretti just about covers it! Very nice, I'll be looking out for the photos on here.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Another P?Bucket fail, so now on Flickr.
    Really need to get a matching set of wheels, and maybe polish the crank to bare metal

My 753 Team Panasonic (yes, the wheels don't match. But it's what I had at the time, and they "roll well"

36557471846_d14cd292b7_k.jpg

On 25mm Gatorskins, this is far more comfortable then my CAADX on 35mm Hyper Voyagers. So much so, I'm thinking about getting a new steel frame to swap with the 'Dale

The frame was given to me by an old guy I know (he needed the room for the other 11 -yes eleven - bikes he owns). It needed blasting and repainting before I rebuilt it with whatever I had lying around - hence the wheels
  • Ben6899
    I like that ^^^
    Ben

• Why thankyou kind sir
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    edited September 2017
    Should have gone Steel ages ago
  • wee run up Sma Glen, Perthshire

37189575452_e7b7773f7a_b.jpg2017-09-21_07-26-18 by rollemynot, on Flickr