Chainrings for FC-M580?

Katlaar
Katlaar Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, and if this is in the wrong subforum, but I'm brand new to this biking thing and I'd really appreciate some advice.

I have a secondhand 2007 Trek 6700, which currently has an FC-M580 crankset installed, but I'm suffering from horrific chainsuck, to the point where it's completely unrideable.

I think it's chainsuck from the info I can find, it's causing my cranks to lock up, it's tearing the hell out of my chainstay, and I think it initially snapped my first chain. I was on maybe my 5th ride when I tried to cross a road and my crank locked up, snapped my chain, and I nearly flew off the bike. So I stuck a new chain on thinking that would be fine in my newbie ways and now I'm pretty sure it's REALLY bad chain suck, every couple of pedals and it's doing it. I'd have to pedal backwards briefly to keep going. All the teeth on the middle chainring are curved, most are to the point that they're sharp at the tip. The biggest ring is also pretty warn too.

I can get hold of the biggest chain ring, but can't seem to get the middle one. They're either no longer sold or an extortionate price. Can I use any 32T 104bcd chainring, or do I have to get a specific one for my crankset? How would I know if one will fit or not? Also, if they should fit, am I ok keeping the smallest chainring as it looks almost brand new, or do I have to change all 3 rings, as I don't really have the budget to go about replacing everything.

Thank you in advance, sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Katlaar
    Katlaar Posts: 5
    Nevermind guys, thanks anyway, I've found some bits that look about right so I'll see how it goes.