Old Dura Ace vs new 105/Ultegra

skell300
skell300 Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
I've managed to inheret a "bag of bits" from an old top spec bike, for my first build project.

In it is most of a 7800 Dura Ace groupset (shifters, brakes, both derailleurs, cassette). It's done a few miles, but is in fairly decent nick.

My question is - it it worth using that groupset (and purchase the missing crankset on eBay), or plump for a brand new 105 or even Ultegra. Is the trickle down effect such that the current 105 is now as good/better than the 2004 technology in the Dura Ace?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    7800 was ace, if you can live with your gear cables popping out at the sides of the STIs
    left the forum March 2023
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    AS Ugo says, if you can live with the external cables it is lovely kit. I have 7800 shifters brakes and front mech with a 7900 rear mech and chainset on one of my bikes and it shifts and brakes beautifully. I prefer the shift action to 5800 and 6800 and the 7800 shifters are a nice shape. I wouldn't hesitate about building it up onto a bike.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I have 7800 on one bike and 5800 on another - there's really very little between them. I actually prefer the shifting on 7800, but the new 5800 brakes are better.

7800 chainsets still go for a premium unfortunately, but if you're after a compact I have an FC-R700 (Ultegra) chainset with a brand new outer ring looking for a new home.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I have 7800 on my best bike and Ultegra 6800 on my training bike. The 7800 is smoother with smaller lever throw to change gear and is much quieter. The only places where newer Ultegra and DA are better is in the brakes and groupset weight, otherwise I can't see anything worth changing for. I've tried every mechanical DA since 7800 and none have made me want to splash the cash.