Bob Jackson 1970 frame

Wrigglekid
Wrigglekid Posts: 4
edited July 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi all,
I am looking advice on the value of this frame and what would be the best parts for it ie: shimano 600
Cheers David

2vwu255.jpg
2ngbvyt.jpg
m7dmrt.jpg
27y5qus.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Looks like a touring frame built in an 80s/90s style, but probably a lot more recent than that. No indication of what tubing. Value is probably inderterminate in as much as it's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Over-BB cable routing would suggest an early 80s frame. Different colour drop-outs suggest that it might have been re-set i.e. a 126mm frame eased-out to 130mm, again confirming the age. Paint scheme doesn't look 80s though, so it may have had a respray. Lack of frame tubing stickers indicate it might be a different make - Bob Jackson do a lot of re-sprays. Value? Old steel frames except known Italian brands aren't making much money these days - £60-100 if you're lucky.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    Fork & head tube look like 1 1/8 threadless, which makes me think it's later than it's appearance suggests.
  • Thank you for the information. Early 80s sounds acurrate judging by age of the guy I got it off. I certainly think he thought it was genuine bob jackson frame. So I think I will just build it and enjoy it. Does the bob jackson company keep records of serial numbers for their frames?
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    Wrigglekid wrote:
    Does the bob jackson company keep records of serial numbers for their frames?

Two pieces of information I can give you. A few years ago I took my 1964 BJ frame to them for a respray, first they checked its serial number against a catalogue and only then would they sanction a respray with BJ branding on it. Since then I have taken another frame for a respray and no way would they give it any BJ branding, only a small sticker saying "refinished by Bob Jackson Cycles".

John.
  • imposter2.0
    Wrigglekid wrote:
    Thank you for the information. Early 80s sounds acurrate judging by age of the guy I got it off. I certainly think he thought it was genuine bob jackson frame. So I think I will just build it and enjoy it. Does the bob jackson company keep records of serial numbers for their frames?

Not sure you've understood the point I've been making. If the headtube/steerer is indeed a 1&1/8 threadless design, then the bike cannot be dated as 'early 80s' unless it has been modified since then. The original 'Aheadset' design did not exist in the 1980s and was not even patented until 1990. Some clarification here would be useful.
  • John Wr wrote:
    Wrigglekid wrote:
    Does the bob jackson company keep records of serial numbers for their frames?

Two pieces of information I can give you. A few years ago I took my 1964 BJ frame to them for a respray, first they checked its serial number against a catalogue and only then would they sanction a respray with BJ branding on it. Since then I have taken another frame for a respray and no way would they give it any BJ branding, only a small sticker saying "refinished by Bob Jackson Cycles".

John.

Thanks man. so from what you have said I could contact Bob Jackson and ask them to verify the serial number to find out if its genuine BJ frame or not? And if its not genuine BJ frame ie: respray, how would it have the BJ decals on it? IL go and get the headset measured would that help with identifying it? cheers all for input much appreciated