Offered an old Raleigh Dynatech bike cheap, worth a shot?

JonnyFoxtrot
JonnyFoxtrot Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I'm currently using my Voodoo Bizango mountain bike for road riding as I can't justify splashing out on a road bike as well. Was chatting to one of my colleagues who mentioned his Dad had an old Rayleigh Dynatech road bike which he'd be happy with £50 for. He only knows that it's about 15 years old and well looked after and gave me some pics (see below).

Can anyone help me with advice on whether it's worth a shout at £50? Were they good bikes for their time? Would I be better off putting the £50 aside and saving for a £2-300 bike from the likes of Decathlon?

eZLyHAv.jpg
zQ3Ky1i.jpg
S7UEZ3L.jpg

Cheers!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Looks decent enough. For £50, if you get a year out of it it's a win. It'll be miles better than a MTB for sure.

Most importantly, does it fit?

(On 2nd inspection, it looks like a 1/2 decent bike.)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    £50 = no brainer

Those Dynatechs were nice frames. They were bonded (not welded) so worth a quick check around the joins, but there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't be fine.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I suspect you will need new tyres. Does it have the original 20mm tyres on it? Also downtube shifters suck. £50 is a punt.

I had one, a higher model with the first Ultegra STIs. It died due to dropped chain damage causing a crack around the chain stay. Check the lugs are still bonded in as they were a failure point.

I think the down tube shifters will drive you made so be tempted to look to spend a bit more. A £500 boardman, if bought on the cycle to work scheme, might be a better bet!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They were nice frames, but prone to failure at the lugs. A lot older than 15 years as well, I would have thought. My brother got his probably 25 years ago and I don'tthink they were making them for long after that (probably due to the bond failure issues). I may be wrong about that though. Anyway, if the frame has survived until now then it should probably be good for a few more years.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    There's a steel tubed one on the Bay at £320. Having had a bit more of a look there are a few on there for rather more money, but most of them have titanium tubing. I suspect that one is steel tubed, but still worth more than £50 if in reasonable condition. I would.
  • alan_sherman
    I bought mine in 1993 I think. No chainstay bridge or mudguard eyelets. That model looks like the 531 equivalent. I had the 631 equivalent.
  • Thanks all for the continued info! Managed to get a ride on it this lunch time after getting some air in the tyres. Frame is 59/60cm and did feel a little big but definitely not small for my 6ft frame. There's no model stickers anywhere on it except at the bottom where it states 2055 "Performance Bonded Tube Set" and has a serial number starting AA. Also there's one saying "Special Products Division" if that makes any difference. Gears and Brakes all shifted and stopped really well and are all labeled 500EX. Only issue was that the down tube gear shifters were a nightmare to use and that the pedal crank kept hitting the front derailleur when I pedaled past, not sure if that's a fault or just needs some adjustment. Still not sure whether or not to throw £50 at it as I'd definitely want to change those shifters, if its even possible?
  • alan_sherman
    Changing Shifters is possible. but looking £100+ The Sora 3000 units may be compatible with the existing deraileur.
    500 ex was the top Exage line, probably sora or tiagra equivalent today.

Tubes would be 501 equivalent (basically CroMo).

It sounds too big for you though. I was on the 58 at 6 foot 1. That looks like a 60cm. These days I'd use a smaller frame too.
  • Changing Shifters is possible. but looking £100+ The Sora 3000 units may be compatible with the existing deraileur.
    500 ex was the top Exage line, probably sora or tiagra equivalent today.

Tubes would be 501 equivalent (basically CroMo).

It sounds too big for you though. I was on the 58 at 6 foot 1. That looks like a 60cm. These days I'd use a smaller frame too.

Thanks Alan, I feared that might be the case. Nice to know its got top spec components for its time though!

From my research I'm guessing it must be a Dynatech 400 model as it has the 2205 steel frame.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    as I'd definitely want to change those shifters

Downtube shifters are fine. Hipsters will be using them soon, make sure you're ahead of the curve ;-). Seriously, after a couple of miles you'll get used to it. And secondhand STIs will set you back more than the bike, if you can get them (what is this bike, 7 speed?)
  • craker wrote:
    as I'd definitely want to change those shifters

Downtube shifters are fine. Hipsters will be using them soon, make sure you're ahead of the curve ;-). Seriously, after a couple of miles you'll get used to it. And secondhand STIs will set you back more than the bike, if you can get them (what is this bike, 7 speed?)

Thanks all for the continued advice and info. I'm fairly sure it is one of the steel tubed ones rather than titanium but I think for the sake of £50 I can see how I get on with it and road bikes in general and then sell on for what I paid for hopefully down the line. I think given the suggested costs of replacing shifters I'll probably just get used to the originals! Appreciate all the comments, cheers!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    bit big if you are 6 foot tall... I would think that is more for someone 6 foot 2 to 6 foot 4
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Down tube shifters are better than STI's in many ways.

Less cable run, less fiddle to index, easier to replace cables, lighter, cheaper & more durable, can jump multiple gears faster.

I prefer them.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I suspect that one is steel tubed, but still worth more than £50 if in reasonable condition. I would.

The good steel tubed Dynatechs are better than the Titanium ones. Here are the tube descriptions
    2080 - Reynolds 753
    2070 - " " 653
    2060 - " " 531

I have a 2070 which must be nearly 30 years old now and which I still ride and had a 2080 road frame but for some stupid reason I sold it rather than building a retro race bike.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    for £50 i'd have the guys hand off!

looks a lovely bike. size sounds about right for you too (i'm 6" and ride 58/59/60's depending on the frame)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Have it, if you don't want it after a bit pm me I'll buy it off you for a small profit would love an old Raleigh.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]