The Cinglés Club

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Best wishes on what sounds like a really worthwhile ride.

As you say, only mountains prepare you for mountains...
    FCN = 4
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Good luck from me too. Unforgettable experience. Best ever day on the bike.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Hoping to do this later this year. Just starting to look at the various options.
    Looks and awesome challenge.
  • mtb-idle
    On the basis that you can never see too many photos or videos of this kind of event here's a(nother) video that I edited recently with some footage that a great mate shot.

Title track is with tongue firmly in cheek, especially given that we are all aged circa 50. The ride was to celebrate my mate's 50th birthday hence the #ventouxfivezero

Sexy Boy

I don't appear in the edit until the second ascent and am riding the Canyon Ultimate and wearing the shades with the fluoro blue lenses.

Edit is pretty much chronological with a few minor amends to suit the music. We rode Bedoin, Malaucene, Sault climbs in that order.

I hope you like it.
    FCN = 4
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    That's a great read, chapeau to all who have done that. There's a mountain in Italy that also has 3 ascents, I'm thinking about trying to "cingle" it this summer...
  • meursault
    DaveP1 wrote:
    That's a great read, chapeau to all who have done that. There's a mountain in Italy that also has 3 ascents, I'm thinking about trying to "cingle" it this summer...

Agreed, our group that did Ventoux last year are going to Stelvio in July. I don't think there's any 'official' Cingles type challenge, so we will probably just do two ascents.

Voltaire
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    Les Fadas du Puy Mary in the Cantal offers some good challenges, multiple combination options for the challenges.
    http://lesfadasdupuymary.eu/html/English/IndexEN.html
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    meursault wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Agreed, our group that did Ventoux last year are going to Stelvio in July. I don't think there's any 'official' Cingles type challenge, so we will probably just do two ascents.

I did the 2 Stelvio climbs in 2018. a good day out.
    I believe Mortirolo has 3 ways up. Hard work that one.
  • meursault
    Phil485 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Nice one cheers, just booked our accommodation!

Voltaire
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Phil485 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

You could go up the Umbrail, couldn't you? I know the "usual" route is to go down that one.

Monte Grappa has something like 10 or 11 routes up it! :shock:
  • meursault
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    On the basis that you can never see too many photos or videos of this kind of event here's a(nother) video that I edited recently with some footage that a great mate shot.

Title track is with tongue firmly in cheek, especially given that we are all aged circa 50. The ride was to celebrate my mate's 50th birthday hence the #ventouxfivezero

Sexy Boy

I don't appear in the edit until the second ascent and am riding the Canyon Ultimate and wearing the shades with the fluoro blue lenses.

Edit is pretty much chronological with a few minor amends to suit the music. We rode Bedoin, Malaucene, Sault climbs in that order.

I hope you like it.

Just got around to watching this, excellent job! Brought back lots of memories.

Voltaire
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,047
    meursault wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

The Col & Cime de la Bonette is also a splendid day out, if you do it both ways from Jausiers and St Etienne de Tinée. Most people just to Jausiers to the top and back down, but the other side is an absolute joy, and there's hardly anyone on it. It'd be about 11,000ft of climbing in 60 miles, and there's at least one good café in St Etienne if you want lunch before the return.
  • mtb-idle
    meursault wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

On the basis that you can never see too many photos or videos of this kind of event here's a(nother) video that I edited recently with some footage that a great mate shot. <snip>

Just got around to watching this, excellent job! Brought back lots of memories.

Thanks buddy, glad you enjoyed it.
    FCN = 4
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

The Col & Cime de la Bonette is also a splendid day out, if you do it both ways from Jausiers and St Etienne de Tinée. Most people just to Jausiers to the top and back down, but the other side is an absolute joy, and there's hardly anyone on it. It'd be about 11,000ft of climbing in 60 miles, and there's at least one good café in St Etienne if you want lunch before the return.

Thanks will have a look at this, sorry for delay in replying.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Decided to get some ink to celebrate the challenge

2w3voex.jpg

Voltaire
  • mtb-idle
    Well, I enjoyed riding Ventoux so much last year that I'm heading back there again in June. But this time I'm staying in Avignon with the wife and planning on hiring a bike (took my own last year).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent bike hire shop? I'm travelling down by train and unlikely to have a hire car so the closer to Avignon the better.
    FCN = 4
  • meursault
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Well, I enjoyed riding Ventoux so much last year that I'm heading back there again in June. But this time I'm staying in Avignon with the wife and planning on hiring a bike (took my own last year).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent bike hire shop? I'm travelling down by train and unlikely to have a hire car so the closer to Avignon the better.

Probably no good for you, but we hired from Albion in Sault, excellent service and shop.

https://www.albioncycles.com/en/

Voltaire
  • mtb-idle
    cheers buddy, let me look at the options on how to get there. always better to go with a recommendation...
    FCN = 4
  • meursault
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    cheers buddy, let me look at the options on how to get there. always better to go with a recommendation...

I would go back to them. Greeted me by name as I entered store, Giant Defys we were all impressed with.

Voltaire
  • mtb-idle
    thanks once again. So I will only need to get to Sault from Avignon once at the start of the week to collect the bike and the reverse journey at the end of the week once i have returned the bike.

Heads off to Google trains/uber from Avignon to Sault...
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

Some lovely riding to be had in the Luberon valley - head to Gordes, up to the Col de Murs then down through Joucas and across the valley to Roussillon and Goult. Plenty of great lunch spots.

Will be in Provence at the end of June myself
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,047
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    thanks once again. So I will only need to get to Sault from Avignon once at the start of the week to collect the bike and the reverse journey at the end of the week once i have returned the bike.

Two buses will get you there, it seems: Avignon to Carpentras, then Carpentras to Sault. https://www.voyages-arnaud.com/reseaux/ ... s-horaires
  • mtb-idle
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Two buses will get you there, it seems: Avignon to Carpentras, then Carpentras to Sault. https://www.voyages-arnaud.com/reseaux/ ... s-horaires

Thanks all,

I have been pondering this for a while and although i'm not above taking buses i did feel me and my mate would look a right couple of plums dressed ready for bear in our cleats waiting around for buses without a bicycle in sight..

So I dropped Albion cycles an email via their contact us page and set out the problem.

They immediately came back to me with an offer to drop the bikes off in Avignon on the morning of day 1 and collect them on the evening of day four. Top service!

Thanks once again to meursault for recommending them. Two Giant Defy carbon 'race' bikes now booked.

Oh and suggestions for other routes noted too, cheers guys.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle

Some lovely riding to be had in the Luberon valley - head to Gordes, up to the Col de Murs then down through Joucas and across the valley to Roussillon and Goult. Plenty of great lunch spots.

Any Strava/GPX file/plotmyroute link you have would be great.
    FCN = 4
  • meursault
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Thanks all,

I have been pondering this for a while and although i'm not above taking buses i did feel me and my mate would look a right couple of plums dressed ready for bear in our cleats waiting around for buses without a bicycle in sight..

So I dropped Albion cycles an email via their contact us page and set out the problem.

They immediately came back to me with an offer to drop the bikes off in Avignon on the morning of day 1 and collect them on the evening of day four. Top service!

Thanks once again to meursault for recommending them. Two Giant Defy carbon 'race' bikes now booked.

Oh and suggestions for other routes noted too, cheers guys.

Nessun problema, would like to go back myself. Give one ascent a full gas!! OK slightly quicker than the Cingles. We were very impressed with the Defy's. No mechanical issues, no unfamiliar bike aches and pains.

Voltaire
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

Any Strava/GPX file/plotmyroute link you have would be great.

Did pretty much this loop - includes some lovely Provence towns (Goult and Lacoste are good for lunch) and passes the Abbaye de Senanque just outside Gordes. Parking can be a bit tricky in Gordes as it's a big tourist town, but I guess if you're coming from Avignon you can ride from there for a big day, or park anywhere along the way and start pedalling.

https://www.strava.com/routes/18494790
  • mtb-idle
    Top man. Perfect thanks.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    Bikes booked so I'm starting to build an itinerary for the trip.

Monday 24th June
    Travel to Avignon and book into hotel

Tuesday 25th June
    Bikes delivered by Albion Cycles to hotel in Avignon.
    Ride from Avignon to Ventoux and back to Bedoin via Malaucene
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29846960

Lunch in Bedoin and ride back to Avignon via this route
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29847008

Wednesday 26th June
    Ride from Avignon towards Luberon. Route TBC; any suggestions?
    Luberon loop
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29847117
    Return to Avignon

Thursday 27th June
    Ride from Avignon towards Bedoin using same route as Tuesday but skirt around Ventoux and head out to the Gorges de la Nesque loop here
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29847048

Return to Avignon from Bedoin using same route as Tuesday
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29847008

Friday 28th June
    Route TBC
    Late afternoon, Albion Cycles collect

I'm generally impatient so will look to tackle the big one on Day 1 rather than leave it until later in the week but this is open to change depending on weather conditions e.g. if Ventoux is cold, wet and windy on Day 1 I'm more than willing to tackle the Gorges instead and hope for better weather the next day.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm really missing out on while in the area, remembering that I don't have a car to travel too far for a ride? Any suggestions for the Friday?
    FCN = 4
  • Maybe a ride out west to Pont du Gard on the Friday? Looks like some lovely roads around there to get lost on for a bit too
  • Maybe a ride out west to Pont du Gard on the Friday? Looks like some lovely roads around there to get lost on for a bit too

In fact, a cursory look on street view of the D3 between Collias and Cabrieres shows what appears to be an utter delight of a road