Trek Domane sizing and purchase decision

Red27
Red27 Posts: 26
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm all set to buy a barely used Domane but did some more test riding today and am not sure which size to go with since I'm in between the two. I'm buying my first road bike (long time mtber) and have been researching a ton online and realized I'm looking for an endurance/comfort geo bike. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam (pants) but after reading a post about inseams for bikes I measured from crotch to the floor and am a little under 35" (maybe 34.5). My legs definitely aren't long for my height and I'm proportionally balanced upper and lower body according to 2 of the shops I visited this week.

Here's my experience so far:

1. Test road a Cannondale Synapse in 56cm because that's all they had and though it felt strange being stretched out on a road bike for the first time, it wasn't uncomfortable and the shop owner (long-time racer) said it looked like the right size plus they didn't have a 58cm.

2. I then went to a Trek dealer who had the 2018 Domane SL 5 (sweet bike by the way!) in a 58cm and he put me on a trainer and measured leg angles and knee over pedal spindle and was 100% sure the 58cm was correct for me. I felt way stretched out up top but comfortable in the drops and my hands did start to go numb a little riding around stretched out up top. The Trek guy said a 1cm shorter stem would make the bike perfect for me. He didn't have a 56cm to try and though I kept asking if I should at least try a 56cm, he said the 58cm really looks great other than needing a shorter stem.

3. I then went to another Trek dealer who had the 2017 Domane S 5 or 5 S (only isospeed in the back) but they had it in both the 56cm and 58cm which was nice to go back and forth 2x each. The reach of the 56cm definitely felt better up top but my arms were bent in the drops which maybe felt a little less stable if I were bombing a hill (not sure what normal is supposed to feel like so maybe the tighter cockpit was correct). I felt a tiny bit more confined when pedaling but we kept raising the seat until it was fairly high/nearly maxed and that felt much better and closer to the openness of the 58cm. I then hopped on the 58cm and like the 58cm at the other shop, felt too stretched out on the reach up top but more stable in the drops but again, I have no experience with road bikes so I don't know if feeling stetched up top on the 58cm is actually correct or if not having my elbows locked out when in the drops of the 56cm is actually correct. The 56cm felt more nimble when railing tight turns back and forth (kind of like my purposefully sized down mtb) compared to the more stable (but slightly more 70's Lincoln Continental) 58cm but I realize a road bike isn't for making super tight radius turns. The professionalism of the first Trek dealer was clear as day after going to the 2nd where they were nice but never took a single measurement nor gave me any insight on which size looked better. He gave zero input and said either would be fine. So basically 2 votes for 56cm, 2 votes for 58cm.

4. I then went to a Specialized dealer and road a 56cm and 58cm Roubaix and it was about the same as the Trek in that the 56cm felt better up top but more sporty/nimble and possibly a bit more tight from the hips to the pedals (maybe what I was feeling is how it should have felt, plus the 56cm had 172mm crank arms vs 175mm on the 58cm so maybe it felt different because of the smaller circles since I’m used to 175mm cranks on my mtb). I wouldn't say my legs felt constrained when pedaling the 56" but maybe a bit more open with the 58cm but my arms definitely felt better with the 56. Oh, and the guy said that you shouldn't shorten or lengthen the stem with the futureshock because it's designed to work with the 100mm stem so he said I could try going down 1cm on the 58cm but it's not recommended which is why he said I really should go with the 56cm. After riding the Roubaix, one thing that was clear was that the Domane's isospeed was way nicer than the Roubaix's future shock which I could bob up and down at will. The Domane on the other hand, I could never feel anything moving until I later road a Trek without isospeed over the same cobblestone round about…at which point I was totally sold on the Domane!

5. I went to the sister store of the first Trek dealer and they only had the 56cm of the 2018 SL 5 Domane so this very experienced guy got me all set up on the trainer, again with measurements and tweaks and he said he had the seat at the very max that the seat cover/cap would allow which made him think the 58cm might be a little better. He did say this one had the shorter seat cap so it could go higher if needed with the longer one but then I'd be getting the seat a good bit above the bars. I road it and after having just road the Roubaix, knew that I 100% wanted the Domane and it is just so good about sucking up the bumps without ever noticing any movement in the seat or bars. I road a highend Emonda in a 56cm with carbon wheels and everything after I rode the Domane over the same cobblestone and though the Emonda was surprisingly comfortable and rock solid, it really showed just how awesome the Domane is at sucking up the bumps. The Domane with dual isospeed is amazing because you never feel the isospeed working to where you don't realize it's doing anything until you ride even a very highend bike without and realize dang, that cobblestone was way rougher than the Domane made it feel! When I got done riding, the comment by the Trek guy was, the bike looks a little small for you and I think the 58cm with 1cm shorter stem would be perfect. Funny cuz that's exactly what the first Trek guy said and both of these guys were the only ones to put me on a trainer and take measurements.

I personally felt smack dab in the middle where there were a couple things I liked better about the 56cm and a couple things I liked better about the 58cm. The 56cm with a 1cm longer stem (or slightly more rise) might make it feel perfect though the stock reach felt pretty good to me, or the 58cm with a 1cm shorter stem. I’m in the damn middle of these bikes so I really need a 57cm. After comparing 6 bikes at various dealers I had 3 votes 56cm and 3 votes 58cm but I give a little more weight to the 2 guys who actually fitted me for the bike. That said, in each case I think the 56cm personally felt a little more natural to me, probably because I'm used to riding a downsized mtb.

Now here's the kicker.....I found a 2016 Domane 4.0 disc from a guy on Craigslist who was gifted the bike and only rode it 3 times (less than 50 miles total). The bike is literally brand new without a scratch on it and I can get it for $800 (it was $2100 new) but it's a 56cm. So, it sounds like "by the numbers" the 58cm is a better fit. However, was the difference enough to warrant spending $1200 more (the 2018 SL 5 was $2000)? That's kind of comparing apples to oranges though because the 56cm 4.0 disc has the TRP Hy/RD mechanical disc brakes and only the rear isospeed plus Shimano Sora groupset vs the SL 5 with dual isospeed, Shimano 105 groupset and rim brakes rather than disc and carbon seat post. For the 2018 SL 5 disc I'd pay $2500 but they'd be hydraulic disc brakes.

The deal on the 2016 4.0 disc is such a good one because I could (not that I'd necessarily run out and do all this right away......) buy pedals, road shoes, carbon seat post, new 28cm (30cm really) Conti GP4000 II tires and full Ultegra groupset for less than the SL 5 with rim brakes (but dual isospeed, though I don’t know if the front makes as much difference as the rear). Now, neither of the Trek guys who favored the 58cm said the 56cm couldn't work and agreed I was in between them but closer to the 58cm than the 56cm (which agrees with Trek's overlapping size chart that I fall in the middle of but closer to the 58cm). If I had explained that I had a smoking deal on the 56cm it wouldn’t have surprised me if they thought it could be made to work for me but clearly thought the 58cm was best. Then again, I read so many sizing posts where people went smaller than recommended and it seems to work for them. In fact, I think I read on the Trek website that if you fall between 2 sizes, it's usually best to size down.

Damn, sorry this got so long but what do you think? I need to make a decision by Friday because I'm supposed to pick up the 4.0 disc Saturday unless I decide it's too small for me. Thanks so much!

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    TL:DR

Just kidding. After skimming the essay above I'm not sure there's much anyone could add - you've tried them all, you've got an idea of where things are comfortable and where they're not. I'd go with your instinct, get the 4.0 disc and give it a whirl. Personally I'm between a 54 and 56 and would always go smaller - it's easier to make a small bike a little 'bigger' than the other way round and if it's such a stonking bargain then you could almost certainly get your money back in a month or two if you decide the 58 was a better fit.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367

Just kidding. After skimming the essay above I'm not sure there's much anyone could add - you've tried them all, you've got an idea of where things are comfortable and where they're not. I'd go with your instinct, get the 4.0 disc and give it a whirl. Personally I'm between a 54 and 56 and would always go smaller - it's easier to make a small bike a little 'bigger' than the other way round and if it's such a stonking bargain then you could almost certainly get your money back in a month or two if you decide the 58 was a better fit.

^This...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Red27

That's what I'm leaning towards but in the end I wouldn't want to compromise fit if for some reason the 56cm was clearly not the right size (which I'm fairly confident it could be made to work.

Just for grins since I have a couple days before I have to make the decision final:

1. How much better is the Trek SL 500 series carbon frame vs the 400? It appears cables can't be routed internally which I assume is mostly cosmetic (since my son's Trek MTB has external cables and he's had no problems going through river crossings and mud).

2. Would swapping out the aluminum 4.0 seat post for a carbon one bring about similar compliance compared to the SL 5 Carbon integrated seat mast or does the isospeed work better on the models with their seat mast? I wouldn't want to upgrade the seat post if I wasn't sure I'd keep the 4.0 but am curious the isospeed compares with aluminum seat post.

3. How much better would having the isospeed up front be if I was rolling a good pair of 28mm (30mm really) tires like the Conti GP4000? That was the impressive thing about the isospeed is you couldn't tell it was doing anything until you rode a bike without it but I wasn't able to ride one with just the rear, vs the dual isospeed, back to back on the same rough pavers to compare.

I'm just trying to figure out what some of those upgrades would be worth to level the playing field. The reality is the 2018 SL 5 at $1999 is a heck of a bike for the money as I believe they dropped it $500 from the 2017 SL 5 so I think this is going to be a big seller for them this year. Maybe we'll see some 2017s discounted a good bit below that later this year.

I believe we are getting close to when they start blowing out previous years bikes (in August of last year I got my Trek Fuel EX 9 for $1000 off) so I could wait, but I think I will grab the 4.0 disc and ride it this summer with only possibly upgrading the tires for now, and then see what deals come up in the fall. This basically new 4.0 is $400 less than bicycle blue book so I'm sure I could at least break even as meesterbond mentioned.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I'll add to your confusion. I'm 1 inch shorter than you, I'm not sure of my inseam but like you, I regard myself as average. I bought 2017 domane 5sl in a 54 and tbh I could have gone smaller since I don't have that much seat post showing. I'm very shocked that you've nearly maxed out the seatpost on a 56?

As said above, if you're in between sizes then it's easier to make a smaller bike work. Also (like me) you said you've got a small mtb which you're happy with, does this suggest that you favour a smaller type of bike?

And I'd pay the extra money and get the new sl. If you buy the cheaper second hand bike you'll always be comparing it with the sl that you' test rode and written so glowingly of.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    I'm 2" shorter and ride a Domane 4.5 disc. Size is spot on for me.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I size down on a domane.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I typically ride road bikes in a 54/medium (I'm a hair shorter than you), but found with the Domane I sized up (that's with H1 geometry as H2 is hopeless and I would have needed a massive stem). I only skimmed the above, but the Trek dealer that said you needed a 58 (and didn't have a 56) is blowing smoke up your ass as he's clearly trying to sell from stock (plus the fact he measured KOPS shows he's a clown).

Edit- Keep in mind you're going to spend most of time on the hoods and tops. Of your hands are going number just test riding in that position then something is wrong.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Red27
    I'm 2" shorter and ride a Domane 4.5 disc. Size is spot on for me.

What size Domane?
  • Red27
    Grill wrote:
    I typically ride road bikes in a 54/medium (I'm a hair shorter than you), but found with the Domane I sized up (that's with H1 geometry as H2 is hopeless and I would have needed a massive stem). I only skimmed the above, but the Trek dealer that said you needed a 58 (and didn't have a 56) is blowing smoke up your ass as he's clearly trying to sell from stock (plus the fact he measured KOPS shows he's a clown).

Edit- Keep in mind you're going to spend most of time on the hoods and tops. Of your hands are going number just test riding in that position then something is wrong.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

What is KOPS and what part of the fitting did you think wasn't right? Interestingly enough, he recommended the 58cm even though he only had the 56cm in his store so he wasn't trying to sell me from his stock but his sister store had the 58cm so his attitude seemed to be that I could make either work but given that we had both to choose from, that the 58 was better even though it wasn't one he had in stock.

Since it sounds like the 56 isn't out of the question, I think I'm going to go with the basically new 2016 Domane 4.0 for now because it's $400 below bicycle blue book so I could use it this summer to see how much road riding I end up doing and then sell it for what I paid if I'm ready to upgrade in the fall. I know they were blowing out mountain bikes around August/September last year where I scored my Trek Fuel EX 9 for $1000 off so maybe I'll find a similar deal on a higher-end Domane this fall.

If I do get the 4.0 disc I'll probably upgrade the tires to either 28mm or 32mm and maybe better tires or a 32mm up front will have a similar effect on compliance as the SL 5 with front isospeed with stock 28mm tires. Given how under budget I'll be with the used Domane I could splurge for some Far Sport, Yoeleo or other affordable but good quality Chinese Carbon rims that I could later use on whatever bike I upgrade to but the one hiccup is that the 4.0 is only 9 speed in the back so it wouldn't work with a newer rear hub unless I changed out the whole gearset right? If I knew I wanted to keep the 4.0 long-term then it could be something I could build up with Ultegra or whatever but I don't want to invest much into it until I know if it will be a keeper or if I'll be upgrading to another bike. So, I'll probably just throw some good new tires on it for starters.
  • I have an SLR 6 disc in a 62cm. I'm 6'4 but my position is quite upright - not a lot of drop from saddle to bars, which suits me following a proper bike fit. Bloody wonderful bike - I'm sure you'll love whatever model you go with.
  • Grill
    Red27 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Thanks for everyone's comments!

What is KOPS and what part of the fitting did you think wasn't right? Interestingly enough, he recommended the 58cm even though he only had the 56cm in his store so he wasn't trying to sell me from his stock but his sister store had the 58cm so his attitude seemed to be that I could make either work but given that we had both to choose from, that the 58 was better even though it wasn't one he had in stock.

Since it sounds like the 56 isn't out of the question, I think I'm going to go with the basically new 2016 Domane 4.0 for now because it's $400 below bicycle blue book so I could use it this summer to see how much road riding I end up doing and then sell it for what I paid if I'm ready to upgrade in the fall. I know they were blowing out mountain bikes around August/September last year where I scored my Trek Fuel EX 9 for $1000 off so maybe I'll find a similar deal on a higher-end Domane this fall.

If I do get the 4.0 disc I'll probably upgrade the tires to either 28mm or 32mm and maybe better tires or a 32mm up front will have a similar effect on compliance as the SL 5 with front isospeed with stock 28mm tires. Given how under budget I'll be with the used Domane I could splurge for some Far Sport, Yoeleo or other affordable but good quality Chinese Carbon rims that I could later use on whatever bike I upgrade to but the one hiccup is that the 4.0 is only 9 speed in the back so it wouldn't work with a newer rear hub unless I changed out the whole gearset right? If I knew I wanted to keep the 4.0 long-term then it could be something I could build up with Ultegra or whatever but I don't want to invest much into it until I know if it will be a keeper or if I'll be upgrading to another bike. So, I'll probably just throw some good new tires on it for starters.

KOPS = Knee Over Pedal Spindle
    It's a red herring when it comes to bike fitting but people still use it.

The main reason I'd be apprehensive about you on a 58 is stack. The Domane has a ridiculously tall stack, so it really limits position down the line. From a reach standpoint, I'm not crazy about short stems as I find they feel twitchy.

Will you probably be okay on both sizes? Likely, but I prefer the adjustability of a frame that's a hair too small than one that's too big.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless it is far too small I would tend to choose the smaller bike. I am between a 61cm and a 64cm. I chose the 61cm and flipped the stem to get the riding position I was after and the bike fits me very well. The 64cm just felt too large to me.
  • Red27
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I picked up the 56cm 4.0 last night and it literally is brand spanking new so I'm very happy with the purchase. It's crazy hot here in Florida so I only took it for a short ride but my first impression was it felt good so I'm sure I'll be able to make it work.

The 25cm stock tires definetly need to go as they were noticeably less comfortable than the Domane's I tested with 28s. I wish I could ride one with 32's just to compare before buying tires. Coming from a MTB background I think comfort will win out over performance so I'd be apt to go with 32's if I wouldn't be giving up much in return. Or maybe 28's with affordable carbon wheels would give me the smoother ride I'm looking for.
  • Red27
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I picked up the 56cm 4.0 last night and it literally is brand spanking new so I'm very happy with the purchase. It's crazy hot here in Florida so I only took it for a short ride but my first impression was it felt good so I'm sure I'll be able to make it work.

The 25cm stock tires definetly need to go as they were noticeably less comfortable than the Domane's I tested with 28s. I wish I could ride one with 32's just to compare before buying tires. Coming from a MTB background I think comfort will win out over performance so I'd be apt to go with 32's if I wouldn't be giving up much in return. Or maybe 28's with affordable carbon wheels would give me the smoother ride I'm looking for.
  • Grill
    Run 28c tubeless in a wide rim (Hed Ardennes) at lot pressure; like riding on a cloud made of unicorn facts.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Red27 wrote:

I did the same coming from mountain biking and my bike came with 25/28 specialized Roubaix pro tyres. They have a 25mm tread but the same air capacity as a 28mm tyre giving more cushioning. I used to have 23mm 4 season tyres and it was a bone shaking ride. These were a big improvement but nothing will match MTB knobbly tyres ;)