Basic Bike Bag for Car Transport

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any experience of the more basic (i.e. unpadded) bike bags such as the Scicon Travel Basic Bike Bag ?

I'm looking for a bag purely to take my bike in my car and to store it in hotel rooms etc. I don't plan to ever take it on a plane so it doesn't have to be padded and armour plated.

I want to be able to transport my bike in my car for sportives as I can't fit a rear mount rack and don't want to go to the hassle and considerable expense of fitting a tow bar to my car, which despite my user name isn't a jeep, it's a BMW 320 Touring M sport, (and it's not red either).

At the moment I throw it in the boot, but it's difficult to fit anything else in around it.

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I use that exact bag for that purpose. There are slots for the wheels on either side that are not great but do the job. If I am going somewhere other than in my own car I do put the wheels in wheel bags then in the slots but it's generally unnecessary for basic car journeys. The bag is big enough to fit the bike by just removing the wheels and turn the bars. It could do with a little pouch to put skewers etc in but generally would recommend.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it's Just for sportives take the wheels off and Keep it in the boot out of site. If it's in a bag it will take up more room rather than less.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I bought the Scion travel bag for a recent trip to Spain. We were going in the wife's car so she didn't want oil on the seats.
    It was fine for this purpose although once in the bag with the wheels off there is a fair bit of spare material.
    It came in to its own on the way back due to us bringing the odd bottle of Rioja back I had cram the bike in upside down in the rear footwell.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Wheels off, heavy duty bin bags, in the boot.
    Sorted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Sorted.

What happens if you don't have a boot?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got two sort of half bags from Rose. One covers the wheels, chain, etc., and stops mud and oil getting on the car. The other fits over the top to encase the whole bike if you need to leave it outside and want to keep it dry and dust free. Both work a treat.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sorted.

You buy the car to suit the bike. Priorities people !
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Fenix wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sorted.

You buy the car to suit the bike. Priorities people !

+1
  • redjeepǃ
    Thanks everyone, I throw it in the boot with the wheels off at the moment and it's okay, but means that there's little room for anything else. I thought that in a bag I could probably squeeze more stuff around it without fear of it getting scratched.

I'm also looking for someway to bring it in the car on the ferry later this summer. There's only going to be my wife and I so want to throw it on the backseat (and before anybody comments, I mean the bike, not the wife).

I think that I may go for a basic padded bag like the one from Chain Reaction. That way I can probably relax a bit more. The unpadded ones seem that the bike can still get scratched.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sorted.

The OP has a BMW 320 Touring.
    They have a boot. You have the wrong car.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have you not got an old sheet or something ? Just put that round the bike - it'll take up less space than a bag and stop the bike getting scratched/luggage getting oily. Don't overthink it.
  • pblakeney
    Bin bags for cleanliness, towels for padding. As said, simples.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Original post "and to store it in hotel rooms". Not sure an old sheet or bin bags fit the bill.

I use the ChainReaction padded one, with bars poking out the top. Fine in hotel rooms or on top of luggage in the car boot.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sorted.

The OP has a BMW 320 Touring.
    They have a boot. You have the wrong car.

Joy of estates, I have a drive train cover I use an then wheels off an bike goes in the boot with the wheels in wheel bags.

I did pick up a bike bag (chain reaction own brand) its not bad you have to remove the bars an seatpost which is fine when you know the position. Wheels can go in the bag as well if you take off the pedals. Generally use it for in hotels. They don't like you wheeling a bike in, but a bike shaped box isn't an issue.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Step83 wrote:
    I did pick up a bike bag (chain reaction own brand) its not bad you have to remove the bars an seatpost which is fine when you know the position. Wheels can go in the bag as well if you take off the pedals. Generally use it for in hotels. They don't like you wheeling a bike in, but a bike shaped box isn't an issue.

Of course, you only have to remove the bars and seatpost if you want to zip it up completely. I never did when I was taking mine to hotels every week.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Exactly what I did, though grabbing a hand full of brake while the bikes in the box thinking itll stop never works.
  • redjeepǃ
    edited June 2017
    Thanks again. I've ordered the ChainReaction Brand X bag as I thought that the bit of padding might be useful even if it's just to stop suitcases rubbing against it. It also comes with a couple of wheel bags.

It's on clearance with an additional €10 off the already reduced price. Bargainlicious.

I reckon for that price it's not worth messing about with bin bags etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... prod104581
  • pblakeney
    Original post "and to store it in hotel rooms". Not sure an old sheet or bin bags fit the bill.

I use the ChainReaction padded one, with bars poking out the top. Fine in hotel rooms or on top of luggage in the car boot.
    Missed that part. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Still say it is fine advice for A-B car transport.
    Veronese68 wrote: