Clicking - It's driving me insane

PinkSpider
PinkSpider Posts: 37
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I recently had some work done on my bike; full new mech, chain etc (the old one was shot, had taken it in thinking it would be a cheap tighten everything up but 250 quid later).

The setup was great for the first week or so but then it started clicking around once per chain revolution. It sounds like it's coming from the front cog but I can't see anything catching and it only clicks when feet are on the pedals so I can't get closer to listen to where it's come from. Any ideas what to do/what the issue is? I've uploaded a video of the issue.

Oddly it seemed to settle down last week when I biked in the rain to work (only a 5 minute ride each way) and it was quiet for a couple of days but it's getting pretty annoying.

https://vimeo.com/221466280

Thanks!
Matt

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    First thing I would check is the crank arm tightness. Perhaps even worth removing, cleaning and refitting to the right torque. Other than that it could be the bottom bracket (my Cube Reaction GTC Pro has a press fit BB, yours looks like a similar model).

Also worth asking, does this happen only on the turbo, or when riding normally too?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • PinkSpider
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's when riding normally too, usually not instantly but after 30 seconds or so. It's not replicable unless I'm sat/stood with my feet on the pedals.

How easy is it to remove? I have a basic bike kit but I've only ever really worked on BMX's 10 or so years ago (other than changing chains/tyres etc).
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Back to the shop for them to sort out?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Things to check for play: Bottom bracket, Crank arms, Pedals, Saddle rails. It will be one of those. Good luck, I hate creaks too....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Add in loose chainrings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • PinkSpider
    Thanks all, need to get a couple of new allen keys but shall give stuff a tighten later and if that doesn't sort it back to the shop tomorrow.

Annoyingly I'd taken a day off to go riding, might have to get some headphones and see if that blocks it out.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'll opt for loose chainring or pedal bearings.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • PinkSpider
    JBA wrote:
    I'll opt for loose chainring or pedal bearings.
    Thanks all, think it was the bearings in the end. I took the screw out of the pedal which I originally filled with grease and filled it up again with a little leftover stuff and it seems to be quiet.

I was going to change the pedals (Have some old DMRs on at the moment but have some better Shimano ones I got a few years back for another bike; they're flatter and unlike my DMRs don't tend to be hard to get going on). I stupidly 3 years ago when I got the bike forgot to lube up the threads before putting my DMRs on.

Is there an easyish way to remove them without damaging the threads (which I did in the past on an old bike). If not I'm tempted to just get some new cranks etc.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    I use a pedal spanner - nice long handle. A whack with a mallet if they still won't cooperate.

If that can't get them off I buy a new bike...cr
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Can second a proper pedal spanner in this situation. This may say something about me, but I value my pedal spanner more than most other bike tools I've got simply because the first few times I removed seized pedals I was doing it with a cheap adjustable wrench and it was never a pretty experience. Pedal spanners just do the job they're supposed to.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad
    And make sure you work out which one is reverse threaded, or it gets even messier.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps. It's the non drive one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JW599
    JW599 Posts: 30
    cooldad wrote:
    And make sure you work out which one is reverse threaded, or it gets even messier.

I always remember bottom bracket and pedal threads as towards front of bike to tighten, towards back to loosen :D
  • PinkSpider
    I remembered but the threads now destroyed (annoyingly it was fine and the pedal appeared to be on correctly for an hour and a half).

Sooooo I'm buying a new crankset and I'll get a bike shop to fit it... Current spec is Shimano SLX, FC-M670 Hollowtech II 42x32x24T, 175mm, Innenlager PressFit SM-BB91-41

Is this compatible? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod149164 (or should I just let the bike shop replace the parts like for like)
  • cooldad
    Not if you want to keep it a triple. The XT is a double.

This one is

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod148301
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools