Few problems with my bike advice needed

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
As the title states I have a few problems with my bike.

I do not want to take it to the local bike shop as they all greedy.

First problem is with gears. I try to switch to the highest gear but the chain just won't move up. I checked the cables and tightened them well. Also if I change it the the very low gear, the chain touches front derailleur. I believe the front derailleur is not moving properly as it should just a guess though. That is the cause.

My second problem is when I change gears sometimes the chain starts to jerk... I don't know the cause of it.

Third problem is I have a lot of grease on my components such chains derailleur's. How can I fully degrease them. Like they are black haha.

Please help any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Blade180
    Blade180 Posts: 70
    Just to clarify by higher gear I mean at the front, not rear. All rear gears change well apart from it ends up touching front derailleur when in lower gear.
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    Most likely a problem with the limit screw or insufficient tension in the FD cable.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    First get a set of instructions for installing the gears for the groupset you have from the internet.

Start right at the beginning - set the limit screws and the other one who's name escapes me. Then fettle the gear changes from a slack cable start. Then you will know how to do it properly. A youtube vid will help.

It's usual to get a bit of scrape from the front derailleur at the extremes.

Buy some degreaser and apply - a scrubbing brush helps.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Step one - buy some citrus degreaser and a chain wear checker.
    Step two - clean your entire drive train and replace chain if necessary.
    Step three - watch youtube tutorials about how to adjust your gears.
    Step four - If still having problems replace gear cables and buy a good quality cable cutter or go to LBS
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Also, LBSs aren't all greedy they just have staff salaries, rents, rates and other costs to cover. Yes it's cheaper if you can do it yourself but it's good to support them where you can so you know they will be there when you need them. This is presuming they are a good LBS and don't just try to sell you unnecessary stuff

Edit: for gears - watch this - then try it - hope it works
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    first problem - don't over-tighten the cable, trying to shift to the higher gear (big ring) means you need some slack so the front derailleur can actually move. You will also need to adjust the front limiter screws (the ones marked H and L in most cases), and perhaps move the shifter cage away from the frame. This may also help with the chain rubbing the front cage (depending on whether its rubbing the frame side or non frame side of the cage - although if you have trouble changing to the big ring it's more likely you need to adjust the cage outwards). YouTube vids must number the hundreds on this issue.

Second problem - not sure what you mean by 'jerk', so can't offer anything

Third - clean it thoroughly with degreaser, bike cleaner and brushes - everywhere the chain touches until the chain runs clean when spinning it. Take the rear cassette off if necessary, to get into the normally inaccessible recesses. Then lubricate the chain thoroughly but not excessively (ie - lube on, use old cloth to wipe excess off).

Oh, and keep all used toothbrushes - they are great for this type of thing, plus if you change your brush regularly your teeth will thank you!
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    You can start by doing an internet search on your problems. many sites have videos that will walk you thru most maintenance and repair issues.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Laurynas wrote:
    First problem is with gears. I try to switch to the highest gear but the chain just won't move up. I checked the cables and tightened them well. Also if I change it the the very low gear, the chain touches front derailleur. I believe the front derailleur is not moving properly as it should just a guess though. That is the cause.

Some very good suggestions above, in particular the "clean things, lube (with the correct lube) and start again with the gearing".

When it comes to derailleur movement, they really are fairly dumb devices and very easy to check (front or rear). Just remove the chain and then push the derailleur with your hand. This will check movement (which should be smooth across the full range required) and also help you check the limit screws. Simple as that. Then clean things, reconnect cables and re-index. Job done.

Oh, sounds like you may need to learn how to use the trim feature if using Shimano. Use it when in the big ring to do a mini-shift to stop FR rubbing when using front big ring and the lower (bigger) cogs at the back. However, try not to use the big ring and biggest cog, termed "crossing the chain" as it will give you a cack chain line and can lead to chain breakage/wear issues (some will pooh pooh this, they are often the ones found at the side of the road without chain tools and looking fairly miserable).
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    What front derailleur are you using?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Sounds like everything needs degreasing & the gears setup up correctly. I do mine on a workshop stand could do it on my turbo trainer but not the easiest thing to set up with a workshop stand! If you don't feel compedant to do it your self it's not the expensive to have a bike shop service you bike & setup the gears correctly!