New bike sizing for 6ft 1" rider

JustX
JustX Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi people,

I'm about to buy a new mountain bike, a Saracen Mantra, but I'm a little unsure on sizing. It's between a L and XL, I have nowhere local to try one out so hoping for some input from riders my size and those with knowledge of Saracens (I have never ridden one for reference).

I'm 6ft 1" and have a 34 inch inside leg, my ape index is positive (reach to height), I was initially thinking a large but thinking the XL would suit better, but still really unsure.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    According to this http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/mountain/trail/mantra you are slap bang in the middle for a 19" frame although it's not clear whether that equates to an L or an XL
  • JustX
    JustX Posts: 3
    I actually meant between a 19 and 21, L and XL was actually another bike I was looking at, sorry about that. It's the Manta trail I'm looking at and I'm right on the cusp of a 19/21 according to their chart. That states a 19 frame is 5ft 10 to 6ft 2, the 21 frame is 6ft to 6ft 3 but none of those take into account reach or inside leg, hence my uncertainty.

Thanks.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    To be honest, I were to spend that sort of money, I'd take a day trip one weekend to somewhere that has stock and try them for size.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on your build and preferences, if you have longer legs (thus shorter body) you need a smaller frame to match your reach and vice versa.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.