Formula RX Rear brake sticking

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all,

I've got a set of Formula RX brakes on my bike and the rear brake occasionally sticks. It starts really gradually, so the disc start to 'whine' as it rubs the pads. It's as though the piston is slowly coming out more than it should and/or not returning to where it should do. It's worse when they get hot. Sometimes it's fine for ages then it just starts again, I've recently had them bled and it happened again the other night so I realigned the calliper and it stopped.

I've had the piston out completely and greased around it invade it was becoming seized but everything looks perfectly fine with the brake.

They are great brakes apart from this, anyone else experienced it or know how to stop it from happening again?

Cheers, J.
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Grease is a really bad idea, it collects dirt forming a thick paste which then makes the piston stick.

Clean it with alcohol only, working the piston in and out to make sure its fully clean, leave it dry.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    Ah ok, thanks for the advice. I'll clean it out and try that!

Cheers
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!