Looking for a stiff and light set of bars

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the FSA alloy bars on my Bianchi Infinito CV. They are too wide (44cm) and need something narrower. Rather than just get a narrower set of bars I'd like to upgrade too and go for a carbon set. I've seen the Fizik Cyrano 00 bars at a very reasonable £165, and I've had lots of Fizik stuff before and always been pleased with it. However I've seen a couple of comments to say they aren't very stiff which is not a trade off I want to make. They are very light though at just 179g in 42cm size (my current ones are about 300g). They are also the Bull concept bars, which I generally go for due to my poor flexibility.

I'm not a particularly powerful guy, so I don't need the stiffest of the stiff, but I do a lot climbing and I know bar stiffness is important for this too.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The price of the Fizik bars is very tempting...

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It might be worth considering a decent alloy set. They weigh about 250g, cost £25 and are as stiff as you like!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    3T Aeronova. Have them on my Reacto and love the feel, particularly the flat tops.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/handlebar-spares-acc/zipp-contour-sl-handlebar/10988308.html

Compact bar, flat top is comfy, 128mm drop, 85mm reach. Not too dissimilar to the Fizik ones in dimensions, they're stiff and well made, plus they don't look too weird side-on which some compact bars can.

3T Aeronova have more reach so probably will not suit you so well with that forward sweeping design they have (seeing as you say you're inflexible).

You might find them cheaper than that too if you look around, I didn't, just grabbed the first link.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've got Fizik bars on my winter / cx bike, mainly because I wanted all the finishing kit to match and they've done everything I'd expect of a set of handlebars...

I've also got 3T carbon bars too and other than the slight difference in shape I'm not sure I'd notice the difference.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Carbon isn't an upgrade. It's about as light as alloy but more expensive. Going narrower is probably the only way to gain any improvement if it works for your physique.
  • tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    Might want to have a read through this:-
    http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Might want to have a read through this:-
    http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/

That's a very good read. It's a bloody shame they didn't review any Fizik bars though!

All in all it looks like I shouldn't be worrying about stiffness too much. I'm only 65-70kg so I'm never going to be putting the forces through them that they are probably tested for.

I think the Fizik bars I am looking at tick most the boxes for me and ultimately the most important thing is probably fit (box ticked) and comfort (box ticked with them being carbon)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    All my bikes are fitted with FSA Compact bars ranging from super light K-Force to SL-K, to Team carbon and alloy Energy. They’ve done thousands and thousands of miles on all kinds of roads from super smooth pre Tour tarmac to rough as you like single track. Have the K-Force bars given me more comfort over the alloy Energy bars? Have the bugg£r. The carbon bars are just pure vanity and you’ll see a lot of the FSA sponsored Pro teams using Energy bars on their bikes with the exception of the team leaders because they make feck all difference to the ride. Reduced road buzz my ar$e.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    All my bikes are fitted with FSA Compact bars ranging from super light K-Force to SL-K, to Team carbon and alloy Energy. They’ve done thousands and thousands of miles on all kinds of roads from super smooth pre Tour tarmac to rough as you like single track. Have the K-Force bars given me more comfort over the alloy Energy bars? Have the bugg£r. The carbon bars are just pure vanity and you’ll see a lot of the FSA sponsored Pro teams using Energy bars on their bikes with the exception of the team leaders because they make feck all difference to the ride. Reduced road buzz my ar$e.

I'm gonna disagree. Just as we run carbon forks on aluminium bikes to effectively reduce road buzz, carbon bars do exactly the same thing. Having tried them once a while back, they're also what I will put on bikes I build for that reason alone. No vanity here - I don't give a stuff what anybody thinks about my bike - it's a tool not a hairstyle
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I've had to opt for Fizik R3 alloy bars on my new bike simply because nobody seems to make a 38cm carbon bar! :?

I've got 3T Ergonovas in carbon and alloy and I can't say I notice reduced road buzz on carbon but I expect there are many other factors at play such as rims, tyres, tyre pressure and bar tape.

Similarly, alloy seatpost vs carbon seatpost doesn't seem to change much in my experience.
  • meanredspider
    I've had to opt for Fizik R3 alloy bars on my new bike simply because nobody seems to make a 38cm carbon bar! :?

I've got 3T Ergonovas in carbon and alloy and I can't say I notice reduced road buzz on carbon but I expect there are many other factors at play such as rims, tyres, tyre pressure and bar tape.

Similarly, alloy seatpost vs carbon seatpost doesn't seem to change much in my experience.

I'm gonna guess that you aren't very heavy (38cm bars) and, like everything, flex is proportional to load.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    They make no perceptible difference to road vibration.
  • meanredspider
    They make no perceptible difference to road vibration to me.

...unless you have a survey of perception?

In the same way that some people can't operate Di2 in thick gloves. I can't begin to understand that but we are all different.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They make no perceptible difference to road vibration.

It depends what bar you are coming from and going to. My experience is entirely the opposite, a clear difference, which is the only reason I'd changed as the particular bike I was putting them on I was hoping for reduced vibration at the bars.

Of course you can't say any carbon bar will reduce the vibration compared to any alloy bar they are swapped for, and I'm sure there are plenty instances where there's little or no difference.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I Have a set of 3T ergonova carbon for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162547349954? ... 1555.l2649