Hand built bike

Vulpocepede
Vulpocepede Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

Am a newbie so if I ask any dumb questions just answer 'em and I'll find out they were dumb later. I've been cycling (properly I guess you'd say) for about 2 1/2 months now on my 2013 Scott speedster 60 that I got on the Cyclescheme a few years ago. Been commuting on it and neglecting it but this decided to finally get into it properly, cleaned it up and have been training. 2 1/2 months in and I've definitely got the bug, am averaging 16.5 - 17 miles an hour and have lost 10 kg of my 100 kg bulk (am 6'1") and am planning to lose another 15 kg over the summer and build my own bike. I know the difficulty in training and losing weight at the same time and am asking for training advice in another post. The components I have decided on are as follows

Wheelset: Shimano Dura Ace C24 (may look at more modern ones but not looking too deeply at aero)
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 spd
Seatpost: Canyon/Ergon CF3 Pro Carbon
Pedals: Probably Shimano Ultegra

What I want advice on is with those components what handlebars, forks and frame do people recommend, I will be going for a bike fit next week so can fine tune advice after that. Oh, and I'm planning on doing Sportives at a fast pace (have a Sportive late summer as my training goal of 56 miles in 3 hours), would consider racing next season. I'm 41.

Appreciate any advice in advance.

Cheers

P.S. Forgot to mention my frame contenders

Wilier Zero 9
Ridley Helium RS
Giant TCR advanced Pro

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    It is going to be more expensive and not better than going for an off the peg bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    To be honest, I'd have the bike fit first, then choose a frame from there. Provided you're not too far off the bell-curve then there will almost certainly be a ready-made version that'll work and it will be a lot less hassle than building it yourself.

The built-it-yourself route generally works best when you've either got a garage full of spare already or you're moving some top quality (or very esoteric) kit off the bike you're replacing.

In answer to the specific questions though, finishing kit is pretty personal. I like 3T, Deda is well thought of, I'm very happy with Fizik on the winter bike... depends a lot on what sort of bend you like on the bars. Frankly a stem is a stem 90% of the time so I wouldn't get too worried about that and just match it to the bars.

Forks and (often) seat post will come with the frame.

And if you're planning to race Cat4, then think about what you can afford to replace it if/when you crash.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No real benefit in what you propose. Just check out bikes with a similar spec. This will be much cheaper than you buying everything separately. You're new anyway so haven't got any real experience of what you want.

Can you do another bike to work scheme ?