Sunglasses

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Mrs McD has offered to buy me some sunglasses for Fathers Day and in lieu of what I really want - a few beers, a nice game of golf and no interaction with the children, I've decided to take her up on the offer.

What's good out there at the moment? I've currently got some cheap DHB ones but they tend to slip down my nose and aren't quite deep enough (i.e. too easy to see over the top of). Don't really want to go over a £100 quid either preferably. They do have interchangeable lenses though which are handy.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can get Oakley Radars in that price range - can't go wrong with Oakley.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Deals everywhere; I just got some Oakley EvZero Paths from Cyclestore for £57. They have sold out, but they are still well under £100 elsewhere:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oakl ... d|569321UK
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I don't bother with expensive ones anymore, I had a nice pair of Oakley's (prescription too) and they fell off during a ride and I heard the crunch as the car behind smashed them to smithereens!

Sorry, that was a moan, rather than a helpful post.

Try this:

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/218 ... lying-bugs
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    How did you manage that ? I've been wearing Oakleys since the 80s and never had them fall off - thats including mtbing and all sorts. If you look after them then they pay for themselves. I cant even work out how old my half jackets are but they get a lot of use.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Fenix wrote:
    How did you manage that ? I've been wearing Oakleys since the 80s and never had them fall off - thats including mtbing and all sorts. If you look after them then they pay for themselves. I cant even work out how old my half jackets are but they get a lot of use.
    Not sure tbh!

Even when I had them, I didn't wear them that often, I usually ride without any glasses.

I was also with a mate in Sicily, who had just received a lovely pair of Oakley's for his birthday, the stopped to repair a puncture an he left them on a wall when we rode off...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    How far can you get before you realise you'v not got sunglasses on ? Its about 10 feet for me.

My mate did take out his oakley pilot lens once to clean and then go to set off with the frame in and no lens. Our laughter gave the game away though.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    https://www.otticanet.com/en/sunglasses ... 79/985514/

I've got some of these, though you can get the non-photochromatic ones for under £100. Had them nearly 7 years, use them every time I cycle and they have not ever let me down. Bright sunshine, night time, rain, snow or fog. Just had a look and the lenses, whilst currently dirty, are not scratched at all. Adjustable and comfy, in fact so comfy I have actually had to check myself to feel if they're on!