Avid Elixir 3 (lever & caliper sealed unit) - Please Help

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning forumgoers,

I have got an issue with my avid levers and calipers :roll:

They are new items,well lets say 'unused' for the moment as I have attempted to fit them to my mountain bike.

The problem is I cannot get the piston in the caliper to retract, there's not enough space for the disc to fit between the pads ? :shock:

Whats going on ? Is there some sort of method to reduce some pressure in the system and regain some movement to aid installation ?

I thought being a sealed system fitting would somehow be easy ? :cry:
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• broachboy
    34869171480_01f55e3cee_z.jpg
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Have you tried pushing the pads / pistons back with a suitable implement? Obviously the orange shim needs removing (I'm sure that goes without saying), then the pads should press back further (if needed).

Sorry if this sounds like self evident advice, but I couldn't work out from your post or your image whether this is something you'd ever done before or not!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • broachboy
    thanks for the reply :wink:

Yeah I tried as you said, pushing the pads back - well trying to, they seem to be under immense pressure ?

Even the orange spacer thingy isn't free to move ? Its like someone has pumped the bollox out of the lever onto it.

I removed the front one, but left the rear in situ just in case :?
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • larkim
    It really should push back OK, but obviously with pads in place you might be wary of putting a screwdriver in there as it could damage the nice new pads. I've got one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... d|202665UK which works well and allows the necessary leverage. Perhaps you're just not pushing hard enough? It's possible I suppose that they are over-filled, but I'd say that's unlikely. Perhaps worth taking out the pads and then using the spare room in between the calipers to get something non-destructive on them (plastic tyre lever or similar)?
  • broachboy
    OK I'll persevere :lol:

I'm not worried about damaging the pads at the end of the day they're replaceable, as it stands at the moment I've got money tied up in unusable components :(
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avid's being overfilled is not at all rare, with the lever above the calliper open the bleed port on the lever and wrap with cloth, push the pads back and then close the bleed port.

Search for 'avid burp'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • broachboy
    The Rookie wrote:
    Avid's being overfilled is not at all rare, with the lever above the calliper open the bleed port on the lever and wrap with cloth, push the pads back and then close the bleed port.

Search for 'avid burp'!

Haha :lol:

Brilliant !!! :D

Thank you
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • larkim
    I knew someone competent would turn up to answer this properly ;-)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I find it a little easier to open the port, pull the lever slightly, just enough for a little dribble to come out, screw the port shut then release the lever - being careful not to suck any air in. This is easier because it only requires you to work at one end, but you may need to do it more than once if you dont release enough fluid.

Just dont let too much out, or suck any air in.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Elixirs are a pain in the 'arris when the weather warms up. The fluid expands and forces the pistons out. A burp is the only way to sort them, but you may have to add a bit of fluid in the winter.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • broachboy
    Many thanks for all of your replies and help :D
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018